Can I still get Sculpsure if I have two 8 inch titanium rods in my back from a fractured spine 20 years ago?

Needless to say, I can't do sit ups due to the rods, and I'm grateful to be alive, but my tummy in menopause I'm not so grateful for... getting a little older and no abdominal excercise has left me with a flabby tummy. I work out and everything else is holding up pretty well, but my muffin top is getting out of control lately. Thank you!

Sculpsure is safe

The laser energy in the Sculpsure treatments only penetrates perhaps an inch or so into the fat.
Deeper rods or tissues will not be heated with the laser treatment.

Can I Get SculpSure if I Have Titanium Rods in my Back?

Yes, because the laser does not transmit, nor do the rods absorb any laser energy.  The 1060 wavelength laser penetrates deeply enough to kill the unwanted fat cells, but does not transmit heat anywhere else, so no problem.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

SculpSure will not affect your spine

Thank you for your question. Yes, you can still get the SculpSure procedure. It will not affect your spine. SculpSure uses a hyperthermic laser fat removal system that directs laser energy into your desired areas. The laser energy heats the fat cells and surrounding tissues which is only the subcutaneous fat layer (upper layers of fat). The laser does not go deeper than the subcutaneous layer, so it will not affect the rods in your spine.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Sculpsure Treatment with metal rods

The unique aspect of Sculpsure is that it delivers laser energy which is absorbed by the adipocyte (fat cell).  It works on the subcutaneous fat and the rod location will be much more posterior, but also, the laser wavelength would not be absorbed by metal.

If there are areas of scarring right where the applicator is placed, this may effect treatment, but it sounds like the surgical entry was in the back and the location that you want treated is abdominal fat so you should be set.

Hope that helps!

Raminder Saluja, MD
Huntersville Ophthalmologist

Yes, SculpSure is safe

This is because unlike other devices that pass energy through your body, SculpSure only focuses its laser energy underneath your skin, and to the fat layer. Your rods are well beyond reach of the laser energy and wavelength. 

All the best

Dr Davin Lim 
Fiori Institute of Body Contouring
Brisbane, Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Sculpsure with titanium rods

Yes you can have Sculpsure if you have metal rods in your back but I wouldn't recommend having Sculpsure on your back. Sculpsure is a laser based treatment that will focus on heating the fat a couple of centimeters below the skin in order to kil the day cells. It focuses on an area roughly the size of a smart phone screen for each pod used. So as long as the traent is not in close proximity to the rods the treaent will not affect them. 

Nikesh K. Patel, MD
Freehold Plastic Surgeon

SculpSure is OK with metal rods in the back

SculpSure uses a diode laser that penetrates just into the subcutaneous fat layer.  As long as the metal rods are not directly in the treatment area, then the SculpSure treatment should be fine.  I would not have any treatment on the back or lumbar area though.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Sculpsure with Metal Implants

SculpSure is a laser which targets fat and is unaffected by metal implants in the body, however you should meet with a Board Certified Dermatologist in your area to ensure you are a candidate for the procedure. 

Tummy fat

Hello - sculpsure only penetrates to the deep fascia, which is very superficial to the titanium rods in your skeleton.  Sculpsure should be completely safe for you.  You may also consider planking and swimming if you can do those things.  Good luck!

SculpSure and Fat Melting

Sculpsure will not affect your spine, if there is nothing in the treatment area you are fine.  Best, Dr. Emer.