Can I have a chemical peel before I have juvederm?

I am going to get juvederm lip fillers done tomorrow. Before doing so, I am wanting to have a chemical peel. Is it safe to do so?

Chemical peel + filler

Hello, and thanks for your question. 

You can definitely do both in one day. To maximize the likelihood of a favorable outcome, I recommend that you only get treated by a well-trained and experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Chemical peel + filler

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hello, and thanks for your question. 

Juvederm and a chemical peel

Hi Tatortot,

USUALLY it is completely safe to have both procedures performed in close proximity (even during the same day/visit). However, the type of chemical peel and the concentration (strength) of that peel are important. For example, if you plan to be having a more superficial chemical peel (like a glycolic acid peel), you should be fine because the filler/Juvederm is placed deeper within the skin (deeper than the peel penetrates). However, I would recommend that you be more cautious if you are planning on having a stronger, deeper-penetrating chemical peel (like a 30% TCA peel) because these can penetrate to the dermis (deeper level of skin). You can also get quite a bit of swelling after both the deeper peel as well as the Juvederm injections to your lips, so I would recommend that you space them at least a week or two apart so that your doctor can best evaluate your face when he/she injects the filler (as opposed to having residual swelling from one procedure "muck up" the results from the other. 

Thus, assuming you plan to have a more superficial chemical peel, you should be fine to have the filler injected on the same day (just have the filler injected before the chemical peel and not v.v.). If you are planning a deeper chemical peel, it's best to wait a week or two between treatments. Always keep in mind that "this is a marathon and not a race". The BEST result is ultimately what you want. . . Waiting a week or two to error on the side of caution could prevent future issues that would make you regret your decision to have them both done at once. 

I hope this helps!
Dr. Kiripolsky

Monika Kiripolsky, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm and a chemical peel

Hi Tatortot,

I hope this helps!
Dr. Kiripolsky

Monika Kiripolsky, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

OK to mix

It is safe to have both a peel and Juvederm the same session or nearly the same session.
Peels are superficial and the Juvederm is placed deeper.

OK to mix

Chemical Peel and Fillers

You can definitely have chemical peels and fillers at the same time or even a day apart.  Many of my patients have both on the same day.  Best, Dr. Green

Chemical Peel and Fillers

Is it safe to have chemical peel and lips filled with Juvederm

You can have Juvederm injected into your lips and chemical peel performed at the same time. Make sure an experienced doctor is performing this combination procedure. Good luck,

Fillers and Peels Can Be Done At Same Time

you can do fillers with peels on the same day. I suggest seeing an expert in combination treatments.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Peel and filler

yes you can have a peel before an injectable as the Juvaderm is placed deeper, but it (Juvaderm) typically has an inflammatory response which can cause swelling and redness for a few days.

Rodney E. Schmelzer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Peel and filler

Rodney E. Schmelzer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm after Chemical Peel

It depends. Is this a mild peel like a "lunchtime" glycolic peel?  Or a more intense salicylic or TCA? You could get a mild peel and Juvederm in the same visit and make the most of your appointment, otherwise if you are receiving a more intense peel, I would space the appointments.

Melissa Toyos, MD
Nashville Ophthalmologist

Juvederm after Chemical Peel

Melissa Toyos, MD
Nashville Ophthalmologist