Restylane: Why can't I have a glass of wine? My Doc said "no alcohol!". Why is this? What would happen? (photo)

Had injections at Noon (MDT). What are effects of alcohol, and why did he tell me "no alcohol" Thanks!

Wine after Restylane

Every doctor will have a different opinion regarding advice such as this. Thus, I would recommend you discuss with a Board Certified Dermatologist with expertise with Restylane.

West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Alcohol and Fillers

Hi there, and thanks for your question. Alcohol enlarges blood vessels, which can make you more susceptible to bruising, swelling, and bleeding after an injection. In general, it's wise to abstain from alcohol for around 24 hours before and after an injectable treatment.

Susan M. Stuart, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Alcohol and Restylane

Alcohol can increase the bruising of the facial injections.  I tell patients to avoid alcohol, aspirin, alleve, motrin, and vitamin E for one week before the injections.  For the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with facial injections.

Why can't I have a glass of wine? My Doc said "no alcohol!". Why is this?

The recommendation was made because alcohol consumption around the time of a procedure can cause increased bruising. Thus, your doctor is looking out for your best interests and is trying to get you the best outcome. Good luck.

Eric Desman, MD
Alexandria Plastic Surgeon

Restylane: Why can't I have a glass of wine? My Doc said "no alcohol!". Why is this? What would happen?

Each physician has his or her own specific guidelines for patients to follow before and after a procedure. In general, consumption of alcohol may increase the likelihood of bruising after treatment with filler. Other than this, there are no other associated complications with consumption of alcohol and filler injections. I hope this information helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Alcohol and fillers

There is marginal evidence that alcohol can increase the likelihood for bruising. So for people who are already susceptible to bruises, sometimes it's suggested to avoid alcohol after fillers. Nothing harmful will happen if you drink after a filler.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Alcohol After Filler

The quick answer is that drinking a glass of wine or beer hours after having filler injections will most likely not have any implications. However, there is some credible scientific evidence to show that alcohol consumption may make you more likely to bleed, thus increasing your chances or bruising/bleeding after a procedure. So binge drinking immediately post-treatment is best avoided. Otherwise, you should be fine.

All the best.

Daniel P. Friedmann, MD
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon