If We Didn't Use Full Syringe of Juvederm, How Long It is Good for if Refrigerated?

Upper lip 0.3 of full syringe,that cost me $500.00, I want to add more around nasolabial fold or between eye frown line, how long can he keep the remainder of syringe before it is no longer effective?

How long is Juvederm good after being opened?

Juvederm does not need to be refrigerated. In theory, It can be resealed and stored for several months after opening without refrigeration, but because no one can guarantee sterility for an extended period after opening most offices put a limit on how long they will allow you to store it.  You should ask what the policy is before you start, so you know and plan to use it up before the timeline.

Not good medical practice

Because you could risk infection, I do not advise storage of used product. Doing so is not safe medicine. Best of luck.

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS, FACS

Some doctors will do this, but I do not store any product.  I am not sure that the risk is worth the volume saved.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Storing left over Juvederm

It is usually best to use all of the Juvederm at one setting.  There is no requirement for refrigeration.   I do not think that this violates any medical standard to store your syringe for up to 6 weeks.  I do not make a practice of it but if it is stored correctly, labeled correctly so that no other patient could be injected with the same syringe I would think it would be fine.

Syringes of fillers are single use and should not be saved and re-used.  This violates numerous medical safety policies including the one that protects you from getting someone elses previously used filler.

If We Didn't Use Full Syringe of Juvederm, How Long It is Good for if Refrigerated

Syringes are supposed to be single-use only. And filler syringes need to be kept at room temp, not refrigerated. A .3 syringe of Juvederm is a very tiny amount. It's not nearly enough to do a full upper lip, and definitely should not have any left for use anywhere else. It is meant as a touch-up syringe or for a scar. It wouldn't be enough for a lip, and certainly not having any "left over" to save.

Juvederm and storage

Juvederm as well as the other HA's are meant to be single use and not stored.  Before opening the box, they are kept at room temperature.

Juvederm Storage

Juvederm is meant to be completely used up and never stored.  This is what the company states and for good reasons.  This is what the FDA expects.  Once open, contamination and infection by many bacteria is very definitely a problem and does occur.   Some patients have been severely damaged by this practice.   Should there be problems and litigation, the doctors practing this do not have a leg to stand on.  They will lose in a big infection  litigation case etc.   I can't imagine physicians actually allow this sub standard practice.   Go elsewhere.   My Best Dr C

I would never reuse a syringe. Risk of infection is too high and if it occurred, it is malpractice

Barry Lycka, MD
Edmonton Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm and Restylane can be saved

As long as the office is careful about maintaining sterility and your name and the date is properly labeled on the syringe, there is no logical reason it cannot be saved for the same person who started it.  Studies have shown no bacterial contamination after 3 months of storage, many offices will save it for 3 months. Some physicians do not like to save leftover product because they want you to purchase another syringe.  Also, some offices, such as ours, offer smaller 0.5 cc syringes which are less expensive.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon