Overfilled saline implants

Is it possible for a 500cc saline implant be filled to 600cc or what cc would be okay to fill it to?

Fill

Yes, the implants can be filled to that volume, but overfilling may weaken the implant shell, show more rippling, and have a higher change of deflating. Each manufacturer specifies the limit of fill for each implant. If you really want 600 cc's, go with a larger implant.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Overfill saline implants

Hi  and thanks for your question. You can generally overfill saline implants within a certain range of approximately 10 to 15% of the maximum fill volume. It varies depending upon implant manufacturer. My best advice after 30+ years performing cosmetic plastic surgery is to find an experienced plastic surgeon who is board certified. Best of luck Richard Chaffoo, MD,FACS,FICSTriple Board Certified Plastic Surgron

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Overfilled saline implants

Thank you for the question. Saline breast implants are usually filled within a range provided by the breast implant manufacturer. Utilizing saline volumes in the upper range of the manufacturer's recommendations helps cut down on concerns such as breast implant rippling. Sometimes, patients who are looking for a certain "round, fake look" benefit from the use of overfilled saline implants.  This involves filling the saline implants past the range provided by the manufacturer.  I have found, through significant experience, that for the appropriately selected patient,  very nice outcomes can be achieved safely. 

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural look” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers. I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Overfilling implants

I used to overfill saline mplants slightly, but would not overfill 500 cc implants to 600.  They will feel hard and bouncy and may actually ripple more.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Overfilled saline implants

The short answer to your question is yes. However the underlying question behind the question is disturbing. If you are looking to have 600 mL saline implants I would strongly recommend against it. That large of a saline implant is much more likely to have issues with wrinkling rippling thinning displacement and the minute the  implants are put in your  breasts will start heading down towards your belly button. The surgeries to fix these types of problems are expensive long and arduous.  You do not want to set your self up for future problems by getting saline implants that are that large . Best of luck to you 

Andrew Kaczynski, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Overfilled saline implants

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue… Breast augmentation surgery increases or restores breast size using silicone gel implants, saline implants or in some cases, fat transfer. One of the most popular and frequently performed aesthetic surgery procedures, breast augmentation has a long and successful track record in satisfying women who wish to enhance, regain or restore balance to their figures.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Overfilled saline implants

Saline implants have a range that they can be filled to. They can be slightly underfilled and up to 15% overfilled, more or less. Filling a 500 cc implant to 600 cc is slightly above the overfill limit but I have done this numerous times in various situations.  It would be better to pick a larger implant, like a 550cc, and overfill to 600 cc if that is a volume you and your surgeon are comfortable with. I hope this helps!!

Overfill saline implants

This depends on whether it is a moderate plus or high profile saline.  Sometimes these two styles have close to an overfill of 100cc.  It really depends on the manufacturer and style of the saline implant.  You want your surgeon to follow manufacturer recommendations otherwise you can weaken the implant shell weakening and  negate your warranty. Best of luck to you 

Milind K. Ambe, MD

Overfill saline implants

Yes it is possible to overfill a 500cc saline implant to 600cc. However it is slightly higher than manufacturer recommendations.  This does make implants firmer and possibly can increase wrinkling. Best of luck.  

M. Bradley Calobrace, MD, FACS

Overfilling Saline Breast Implants

Each breast implant manufacturer has a recommended fill range for each of their implants. Saline implants are generally overfilled to avoid rippling and to maintain shape, but the degree of overfilling varies. For example, Mentor permits more overfilling for their implants than does Allergan. There are also different overfilling ranges for how, moderate, or high profile implants. Yes, you could fit 600cc of saline in a Mentor 500cc implant, but the implant would become extremely firm and rounded in shape. Implant selection depends not only on desired volume, but on the diameter of the implant and other factors.I would strongly recommend finding a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who is willing to spend enough time with you to allow you to understand all of the issues and factors that are involved in choosing breast implants, and in deciding how much to overfill them.

Andres Taleisnik, MD