Bellafill did not work.

I am 58 and have the marionette problem. Previously tried Radiesse and Bellotero but my face absorbs the fillers in less than a month! Tried 3 syringes of Bellafill with the SAME result!! What's wrong here?

Bellafill is safe and beneficial -- only filler FDA approved for acne scars

For the marionette lines you often need more than just fillers.  Tightening, lifting, lasers all help with this area. I suggest seeing an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Bellafill for Marionette Lines

I am sorry to hear that you did not get the results that you were looking for with Bellafill.  There can be many reasons for this including not getting enough for your problem, not getting it placed in the right place and having the filler placed too deep.  Good before and after photos would help determine if there is  difference or not.  You can rest assured, that unlike the other fillers, the Bellafill has not gone any where and is still working.I hope that regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Bellafill didn't work?

PMMA is the collagen stimulating microsphere component of Bellafill. This cannot be degraded by the body and elicits an immune response resulting in collagen formation. You haven't given me a time frame as to when the injection was placed. You should have immediate results with the Bellafill because there is collagen added as a carrier of the PMMA. If you don't see results initial, not enough was used. Full results from the Bellafill take 3-6 months to appreciate. Keep in mind that the syringes are 0.8cc, not 1cc. Also, if you have severely sun damaged skin or immunocompromised, your collagen response is going to be blunted.  

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Inadequate result from dermal filler

Thanks for your question, but it is not really possible to answer this type of question without reviewing photos and knowing how and where the filler was placed. In general, with respect to the marionette region, there can easily be disappointment in terms of correction if there is a lot of skin laxity. If so, it is important to correct mid face volume loss as well and consider skin tightening in conjunction with the dermal filler placement to achieve the best, most natural and longest lasting correction. Also, 3 syringes sounds like "a lot" but remember it is really 3 milliliters. It would not be unusual to use 5-6 syringes of filler to achieve a full face rejuvenation in a 58 year old, add 1 more to "touch it up" about 2 months later, then "ride" the results for an extended period of time, particularly if it was Bellafill used. You have to achieve "full correction" in order to get a long lasting result. If you under-correct, the filler will seem like it went away too quickly but in fact it's just that the soft tissue swelling resolved and the filler volume left behind was not enough to do the job. Another trick to potentially extend the "life" of the result is to combine the filler injection with injection of platelet rich plasma (PRP)- the so-called Vampire FaceLift.

Lisa Vuich, MD

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician