Can I Go from 38D to a B with 100 Grams Being Takin Out?

I am currently a 38D and I want to go down to atleast a B cup. My doctor said he will take out 100 grams. Will that bring me to my desired size? Tricare is covering it so I dont know if I have a say so into how much I want taken out, but they did approve the 100 grams but I dont think it is enough to give me what I want. 

Breast reduction

Breast Reduction is a complicated procedure that is best done by those with the most training and experience. It is very difficult to determine the resultant cup size and shape based solely on the number of grams that are removed from your breast to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast reduction and lift surgeries, including different approaches, techniques and even fat transfer and implant choices if you are lacking superior breast fullness.
This is because several measurements—not to mention breast characteristics such as density—are needed to determine how much and where to remove breast tissue to meet your goals. Without knowing your existing breast shape, dimensions, and the density of your breast tissue, it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the same volume of breast tissue will weigh different amounts (measured in ounces or grams) in different people depending on its density. The existing base width of your breast and what you will ultimately want to look like will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume and weight that will need to be removed for the best result.

Please click on the link below for more information!

Weight of Tissue Removed and Relation to Breast Size after Breast Reduction

Hi there-

Without examining you it would be nearly impossible for any of us to estimate how much tissue removal would be required for you to reach an approximation of your goal...

On the other hand, speaking generally, I would say that removal of only 100 grams per breast from a woman who is a true D cup would be a very small reduction...

I think one of three things may be going on- either your surgeon is estimating removing more than 100 grams (and you misunderstood his plans), or, he does not clearly understand your goals... the final possibility is that he does not believe that more than 100 grams of tissue could be removed safely in your situation.

This latter possibility seems unlikely, assuming you are really a D cup.

I would recommend you visit with your surgeon again and confirm he has a good understanding of your desires and that you have a good understanding of his plans. Remember that for the doctor-patient relationship to work, there has to be mutual respect and open communication.

Coverage for a "100" gram breast "reduction" unlikely

Unless you are a very diminutive person (dwarf), 100 grams will not reduce someone from a "D" to a "B" cup. Furthermore, it is extremely unlikely that any insurance company will cover a reduction that involves only 100 grams. Therapeutically, 100 grams will have virtually no beneficial medical effect as regards back or shoulder pains. I suggest that you recheck the information.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Breast reduciton size

Hello

Removing 100 grams is the same as removing a little over 3 ounces. Think of a 2 ounce shot glass.  Even two of those would not account for much of a change.  Also, I have not seen insurance companies approve 100 gram reductions.  Most have a minimum of 300-400 grams if not more. Please return to your surgeon to discuss.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Can I Go from 38D to a B with 100 Grams Being Taken Out?

It would be very unlikely that you would achieve your B-cup goal with a 100 g reduction.

As pointed out by my colleagues most reductions in your size range would involve removing at least 3 to 5 times that amount per breast.

In my practice I do not promise patients that I can produce B-cup breasts with reduction surgery. Don't forget that some tissue needs to be left in place to keep the nipple and areola alive.

All the best!

100 gram removal will not make a big difference in reducing size of breast

I'm afraid 100 gram removal will not get you your desired size. My concern for you is that there might be some confusion on your part with the amount Tricare has approved for removal. I urge you to talk to your doctor and make sure you are both on the same page. I would hate for you to go ahead with the surgery and end up with no breasts. In general, someone with your size would not benefit from an insurance covered breast reduction. First of all, you are too small to be approved. Second, the result would be catastrophic. I would recommend you pay for your own reduction/lift so that YOU are in control and not the insurance company. Best wishes, Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

The average breast reduction

It is hard to know if a reduction of just 100 grams will reduce your breast from a D to a B-cup. The average reduction amount is 350 to 550 grams per breast, and the 100 gram range is more in line with breast lift. My vote would be no, thought only an exam can confirm.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

100 gram breast reduction

I will echo the other comments - it sounds like you might not have accurate information.  I have never heard of insurance covering such a small breast reduction, and it is highly doubtful that such a small amount would reduce you 2 cup sizes.  Please talk to your surgeon again so that there is no confusion!

Breast Reduction Size Changes

There is no true standardization in bra cup sizes.  Make sure your surgeon knows what you mean by a "B" cup. . . maybe showing him/her photos of your desired goals or a bra you would like to fit into would help.  100 grams is a minimal reduction and would typically not be covered by most insurance companies.  On the other hand, 1,000 grams from one breast would be a quite large reduction!. 

Diane L. Gibby, MD

100 g breast reduction

the only possible way would be with a magic wand. somewhere there is a disconnect. we all strongly suggest that you review this 1 more time with your surgeon

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon