Will wearing a steel-boned underbust corset after incisions heal mess up the implants? (photo)

I have been practicing corseting since the beginning of this year, but now I'm wondering if it will somehow interfere with the implants or the way they settle. Of course I wouldn't wear it again until the incisions have healed. A picture of the type of corset I'm describing is attached below.

Will steel-boned underbust corset after incisions heal mess up implants:

It is not clear how long post op you are but I would recommend 6 weeks before wearing underwire bras or corset if the incisions are in the inframammary fold and healing well. If wearing a bra is irritating the wounds you can insert a silicone sheet in the area such as Mepitac or SilTape. 

Hope this helps,

Dr K Dolynchuk

Manitoba Plastic Surgeon

Once you are healed and settled

use of the steel boned corset should not be an issue for you.  But its best to check with your chosen surgeon so he/she can look at the kind of garment you're thinking of wearing and give you his/her expert advice.  After all, if you do develop a problem related to the corset, your surgeon is likely the one to be managing it so let your surgeon know and get his/her opinion.

Curtis Wong, MD

Will wearing a steel-boned underbust corset after incisions heal mess up the implants?

Thank you for your question.  My concern is that the corset will impede or interfere with your implants attempt to drop into a natural position.  Of course you must ask your plastic surgeon for advice.  However in my practice I would have you avoid a corset at least 3-4 months and not until the implants of dropped into their final position.

Wearing a corset

In our practice we would ask you not wear that corset for 2-3 months, until implants have really settled, but best check with your surgeon first. Best wishes.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Corset timing

Good morning,

Check with your surgeon, but once they have settled in (around 3 months or so) you should be free to wear what you like!

Best wishes!

Corset?

I think you can wear the Corset once your implants have settled and you're fully healed. As the previous surgeon suggested 3 months might be a good starting point. I think your plastic surgeon is the best resource to answer this question. Best, Dr. Aldo:)

Aldo Guerra, MD

Breast implants: Will a steel-boned underbust corset mess up my incisions?

Breast implants are about 75 to 80 percent settled at three months. At this time, I advise my patients they can wear and do anything and everything they desire with no concern regarding the effect on the outcome of their surgery. Your surgeon may have a different opinion. Good luck. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon