What happened to my chin? Botox gone bad! (photos)

I recently had Botox in my chin and platysma bands and now I have the strangest shaped chin! It was very average before, the doctor said it would help smooth my jaw line and reduce marionette lines but now I have what feels like a second nose on my chin! Can anyone suggest a fix or explain to me what happened? What went wrong?

Botox chin injection results

Sorry to hear about your experience with Botox. The photos you have provided are only with contraction of the mentalis (chin) muscle. It would be beneficial to see the muscle at rest. It would also be helpful to see a photo of your chin from before the Botox injection. That being said, most likely the muscle was over injected and the Botox was also misplaced. I would see an experienced injector in person to see if there is anything else that can be done. Otherwise, you will need to wait 3-4 months for the Botox to wear off completely at which time your chin will return to baseline. I hope this is helps. Good luck.

Botox in chin gone wrong

Does the contraction only occur when you pucker your lips? If so, then the results are to be expected. The DAO, depressor anguli oris, the muscles in your marionette region and chin muscles have been paralyzed, therefore they are not able to pull the chin taut as you pucker your lips.  I suggest you stop the puckering action and you will not notice it as much.  Then you'll be happy with the result of your neck bands and lifted lip corners. For future treatments, avoid the chin area or do lighter doses.  Hope this helps,Yazdani, MD

Botox in the chin

Botox in the chin requires very precise placement of the injections. It is a very advanced skill and can easily cause strange results if not done just right.  It can work beautifully for decreasing the orange peel like look and for the muscles that turn down the corners of your mouth. The good news is that it will wear off, typically in 3-4 months.  For other solutions, an in person consultation may be helpful.

What happened to my chin? Botox gone bad!

Hello Funsillypants,Your result happened most likely from over zealous and inappropriately placed Botox.  Botox can do an amazing job in small amounts to improve dimpling that occurs in the chin (called peau d'orange).  If you have a large masseter muscle (a muscle at the back of the jaw that helps to frame the face) then Botox here can help to improve the jawline.  Botox will not help to reduce marionette lines.  Unfortunately, other than time there is nothing that can be done to help with your result.  In the future, I'd recommend you only receive injections from one of the core aesthetic physician injectors to minimize the risk of something like this happening.I hope this helps and good luck. 

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for chin and jawline

It sounds like your docs went to a weekend course and thought these injections were a good idea without much experience. There is nothing that can be done to fix this or expedite the recovery. It will come back to normal in about 3 months. These lower face injections need to be done perfectly or the results look worse than the original problem.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Undesirable result with Botox

Botox around the mouth should be used sparingly as undesirable results can be achieved with weakening of periareolar and chin muscles. The good news is that it's not permanent and will go away in 3 months. Best, Dr. Yegiyants 

Sara Yegiyants, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Thanks for your question and photos – we always recommend that you have a consultation with a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon as we are the true experts in the use of Botox and understand the anatomy better than anyone else.  In your case, you need to find an expert injector, see what was done, and have them determine if there is anything at this time to correct what was done.  On occasion, more Botox in proper areas can help; other times, we need to wait until the Botox wears off in 3-4 months.  We hope this can be corrected so find the right provider.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox (chin)

Thanks for your questions and photos. Unfortunately, your photos are difficult to show results as you are puckering your lips. A resting face would allow better judgement but would also require a before photo. The chin is a sensitive area and it could be that you had too many units. However, I would seek a professional opinion for a board certified dermatologist. Fortunately, the botox will fade in 3-4 months so it is not permanent. Hope this helps!

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Botox in Chin

This needs more botox injected properly.  I suggest you see an expert for treatment options.  Best Dr. Emer.

Chin Botox

Hi, and thanks for your question. It would be good to know how much Botox was injected into your chin. It looks to me like too little Botox was injected into the lower aspect of your chin. It seems like that part of the muscle is still contracting while the upper part is weak. Tough to tell without looking at you live. My suggestion would be to have a very experienced Botox injector take a look at you and see what is going on. It is possible that this could be easily corrected and you do not have to wait 3 months. Hope that helps.