FUE: random vs zigzag pattern; which is best? (Photo)

I recently had a FUE procedure. now 13 days post-op and I'm looking at other results here. I notice that low cost clinics tend to create a sort of zigzag pattern (top image) with follicles implanted almost in line, whereas in my case (bottom image) there is no pattern; the follicles seem to be implanted randomly. So I was wondering, does it make a difference when the hair has grown back or iss the zigzag/line pattern totally invisible ? Is one of the implantation type superior to the other?

Natural Placement of Hair makes a huge long term difference

You are correct, it is very important to have an experienced transplanter place grafts so that they appear natural.  Randomization is difficult to achieve; it takes time and skill to get it right.

Boston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Original Single Fine Follicles

The creation of an original hairline is one of the artistic aspects of hair transplantation. To chose the right follicles for the front hairline is actually more important than how the follicles are placed. For a more natural look, original single fine follicles mostly extracted from the peri-auricular and temporal zones must be used. Hair transplantation must imitate nature for natural looking results. Natural placement is random, not in a line with natural micro-irregularities. The main criteria is to avoid macro-irregularities if the first line has a hair caliber over 60 microns (even with high densities of 50-55 grafts per square centimeter with high caliber). The appearance will otherwise be unnatural.

Koray Erdogan, MD
Istanbul Hair Restoration Surgeon

Thank you for your question. An experienced and skilled surgeon will provide you a natural-looking result that does not include a pattern. Always consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Instead of focusing on the technical side of how a doctor does surgery, it would be best to see their results.

Instead of focusing on the technical side of how a doctor does surgery, it would be best to see their results to see how natural the end results are.

If you can see a "pattern" it would not likely be a natural result.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

What patten is better in recipient area?

Each doctor has their own pattern and design. In order for the transplanted hair to look natural, We design the recipient area following the patients own hair orientation. This may have a more random look, but it will be a lot more natural. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Your recipient patterns are showing a organized pattern which should never occur. Nature placing hair randomly, doctor who do not know the art of hair transplantation, place unnatural patterns.  Hoe it turns out better than it looks

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon