Does this look like a botched labiaplasty? (Photo)

i went in for a labiaplasty a couple weeks ago and all i asked were for them to be cut a little shorter and instead it looks like my doctor cut them completely off. It looks bumpy and uneven to me. Is it normal to have them cut all your labia off?

OMG! "Botched" labiaplasty. What to do, and lessons to be learned

I'll weigh in and echo everything that my colleagues, Drs Marosan and Pelosi have said.  If you are a "frequent follower" on RealSelf, you have seen over and over and over again the aesthetic surgeons here, who have together performed thousands of labial reduction labiaplasties warn about "..The Botchers," those ill-trained docs who will say"...Oh, yeah, I can do that," and offer a cut-rate price or "...do it under insurance." Yes, sometimes it goes OK, but a huge portion of the time results are disasterous, as these docs have no idea of "plastic technique," how to truly "shape" and get things right, and-especially- how to deal with the clitoral hood and "unusual anatomy," which often is the rule in women with "robust" labia. They use heavy caliber sutures, "cut it all off", and then, to add insult to injury, "whip-stitch" the inner amputated area to the outside, almost assuring that the patient will have sexual pain for years.

Many of the docs on this site have the disquieting task of consulting with attorneys in instances of "botched labiaplasties," such as yours. Invariably, the tune is the same: untrained Ob/Gyn's who think "...hey! It's the labia. I'm a gynecologist & I know this area. How hard can it be..?" They offer cutrate prices, or acccept insurance, calling it an "indicated" rather than cosmetic procedure, as they are NOT TRAINED in cosmetic labiaplasty. KNOW WHAT? They are not truly credentialled by their hospital for cosmetic labiaplasty, only "Partial Vulvectomy," which is AMPUTATING the labia usually for [pre]-cancer, and that is what they do: AMPUTATE. This is such a shame, as-truly- the only time you have to truly "get it right" is the first time. Both the doc AND the hospital or surgical center who let them do this are MEDICALLY LIABLE. Your surgery, especially in the area of the country where you live that has many fine labial surgeons is well below the legally defined "Standard of Care." In my humble opinion, it is not until these docs and the hospitals that let them do this to patients are sued again and again that maybe women such as yourself will be protected!

There is hope. Since your doc had no idea how to deal with your robust hood, she/he left it long, and this hood tissue may be used later to reconstruch decent looking labia via a "flap" technique. BUT, as other docs have said here, wait at least 6 months for reconstruction, and see a real EXPERT for the reconstruction. The sad thing is, if you had seen a good, savvy, experienced surgeon in the first place, your labiaplasty, if done by an expert in your area of Southern California would have cost you maybe $5000-6000 Now, a "salvation re-do" will probably cost you > $10,000 for OK results, but nowhere as good as you could have gotten the first time around.

Sorry to be so blunt, but hopefully this will be read by other women and keep THEM from being botched by unknowing and inexperienced hands. Ask to see at least 25 "before and after pics of the surgeon's work. Choose training + experience. In plastic surgery, like most other things, you get what you pay for!
The weblink below may be additionally helpful for you.

Michael P Goodman,MD,FACOG, AAACS
Davis, CA, USA

Labiaplasty

Thank you for your question and photo. Unfortunately you will need to wait 4-6 months to ensure you have healed completely before evaluating how much labia tissue is left. Reconstruction could be possible but is difficult when there is little tissue to work with. When swelling has completely gone, if you are not happy,  I recommend that you see a board certified Plastic Surgeon who specialises in Labiaplasty reconstruction.

All the best

Revision labiaplasty surgery

#Revisionlabiaplastysurgery
Revison surgery for #labiaplasty may be requested make the labia more even.; correct over reduction;  ismprove the appearance of color, texture, and scars after previous treatment.
Revisions are generally possible but, as with other surgeries, revision becomes more difficult than the initial first operation These should be performed by a surgeon experience with #CosmeticFemaleGenitalSurgery. You should wait at least 6 months for the initial surgery to resolve. Tissues need to heal and soften before they are re-operated upon.

Botched labiaplasty

It appears that you have had a labiectomy of your labia minora. In 6 months you need a pelvic reconstructive surgeon to evaluate this.

Labiaplasty complication

I would agree that the labial trim has been too aggressive. This is now a complicated situation and may require significant reconstruction in the future. Leaving matter for 6-12months is a key so that the scar has time to settle before going down the route of any further surgery. 

Sanjay Azad, MS, FRCSEd
Thunder Bay Plastic Surgeon

Your surgeon should see these 'reviews'

because its unanimous that your results are less than satisfactory and that too much was removed.  I hope your surgeon can learn from this and can help you through the healing process and whatever is needed to provide you the desired result. 

If your surgeon shows no interest in helping you and owning up to this result, you should do your best to warn others by using social media.  Bad results are always possible in any surgical practice but yours appears to have gone beyond that.

Curtis Wong, MD

Botched labiaplasty

I reviewed your photo. It appears that most of your labia minora were removed. You had a trimming labiaplasty. However, no attempt to revise your labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure as your appearance will improve, and the swelling will be less. You need to control your anxiety and wait. The reconstruction is more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone. Fortunately, you have a large clitoral hood which can be used to reconstruct your labia, so do not let anyone remove any of it.  Therefore,I probably would recommend clitoral hood flaps to reconstruct your labia  I invented this procedure about eight years ago and have done it about 40 times with outstanding results. You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions.

Gary J. Alter, MD

Labiaplasty amputation

Thank you for sharing and I am sorry you are going through this.  At this point, it is no surprise to say that the labiaplasty you intended to have was not given to you. 
I think we need to focus on the next step, getting you a revision by a professional and experienced surgeon.
I would wait at least another 4 to6 months before attempting any surgery.  I would also speak with your surgeon and make sure they are aware of the situation.

Botched labiaplasty

I am very sorry that  your surgery ended with a bad result. Your labia have essentially been cut off. This is not what most cosmetic surgeons would consider an aesthetically correct result. We don't just amputate the labia, which is obviously what happened here, we design the surgery to end up with a beautiful labia. The best course for you would be to wait 3-6 months and let the area heal, then perhaps seek reconstruction.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

Is this a botched labiaplasty?

Dear Labiaplasty101,

Unfortunately, your results are not satisfactory by any means.  I agree with all of the comments already written below.  Whoever did this to you has no experience performing a labiaplasty and should have referred you to someone who is highly trained in performing labiaplasty reduction surgery.  I am sorry that you have had this experience so far and hope that you can find someone who will be able to do you justice with a revision when the time is right.

Because you are only two weeks out from your surgery, it is best to wait about 6 months for all of the swelling to go down and healing completed before having another surgery.  A cleaner look can definitely be achieved.  When you are ready be sure to research plastic surgeons and cosmetic-plastic gynecologists who are specifically trained and highly experienced in labia minora labiaplasty and their complications. For more information on labiaplasty, visit the link below.

I hope this information is helpful and I wish you the best of luck in resolving your concerns.

Sincerely,

Dr. Troy Hailparn

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN