Monovision reversed?

I had Lasik in 1999 at the age of 43 (they gave me monovision). In 2014 my retina detached in the distance eye. I am now legally blind in that eye. Can I have the right (close up vision eye) changed back to regular vision?

Risks

I would not recommend that you have your right eye treatment reversed since you are legally blind in your left eye.  When choosing to undergo elective procedures, you must ensure that the benefits of the surgery will outweigh the risks.  Since you have only one functioning eye, it is not logical to put your functioning eye at risk for complications.

San Francisco Ophthalmologist

Monovision reversed?

Monovision can be reversed by repeat Lasik or PRK. In your case, however, if the other eye is legally blind and cannot be corrected even with glasses, I would suggest not performing any elective surgery on the good eye. Even though Lasik and PRK are amazingly safe and effective, I still would not recommend treatment on a person with only one eye that is functioning.

Andrew Caster, MD
Los Angeles Ophthalmologist