My daughter is 18, is serious about breast augmentation for a graduation gift. Is 18 too young?

She just turned 18. Is 5'7" and weighs about 130. I had a small cup size growing up early on but developed later.

Is there anything legal that I can do? I was promised up to 4 litres for my weight.

Hi. IMHO 18 is not too young and I have frequently done "graduation" breast augmentations. Today, a saline implant is what is recommended by implant companies. There are situations where a silicone implant may be used "off label". As a mom, it's up to  you to do the research. As parents, we owe that to our children. I would suggest a partial,pectoral placement . Because photos were not provided, it's hard to render an opinion as to size and profile.

I am certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and have practiced in the"land of breast implants", Miami, for the past 29 years. I encourage you to look up the surgeon you eventually select and make sure they have years of experience in performing cosmetic breast surgery. Furthermore request to see before and after photos of previous patients by that doctor....not a clinic or surgery center. Do your homework......research and verify the doctor's credentials. Have they had problems with the Board of Medicine, disciplinary or otherwise. Any law suits?

How about the center, clinic or facility? Are they accredited by a national organization or do they just have State approval. Understand that at the current time, there are three nationally recognized organizations responsible for the highest levels of patient safety, AAAASF, AAACH and JCHO. You owe it to yourself to position yourself for the best possible results but under the most stringent safety regulations, If you have kids, even more so.

How about anesthesia? Will you have a medical doctor certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology or a certified nurse anesthetist (CRNA)? Understand that there is no substitute for research. Cosmetic surgery, no matter how simple it may be to the patients, are invasive procedures and as such carry certain risks and complications.

I wish you and your daughter the best on the journey. I hope that the info provided has been helpful. Should you require any further clarification, do not hesitate to contact our institute. I answer all questions personally, not through patient coordinators or other marketing individuals.

In our office we use TouchMD which is a web based program in which patients have the ability to load their picture unto the program. I then evaluate them and can actually draw on the picture to show a potential patient where the incisions would be located and how the procedure is to be realized. It's all done to comply with HIPPA which is the federal law that protects the patient's medical information. Look them up.

Good luck Dr PG

Aug for 18 year old

As long as youd aughter is mature and has an understanding of the procedure and its risks and is in good health than there is no reason she would not be a candidate for an aug.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation at Age 18

Certainly, if your daughter is an emotionally mature 18-year old as it sounds as though she is, she should be an excellent candidate for breast augmentation.

Breast augmentation is safe at 18

Thanks for your question.  If your daughter's breast size has remained stable over the last 2 years, she is unlikely to change much further.  Provided that she is mature enough to understand the risks of surgery and the need for future procedures, then she may be an excellent candidate for a breast augmentation.  Currently, she will be limited to saline implants unless she chooses to use a silicone gel implant in an "off-label" fashion. This would likely mean that the implant company would void the warranty if there were a problem with the implant. Best to seek out a few board certified plastic surgeons for opinions and pick the one with which she feels the most comfortable.  Best wishes. 

Breast augmentation at 18 years of age

A great question.  Many young women at that age undergo breast augmentation in my practice and are very happy with the results.  Usually by 18 years of age there won't be significant changes in the breast size particularly if her breast size has been stable for the past 12 months or so.  I recommend young patients take into consideration their lifestyle and future plans for pregnancy and breast feeding when considering implant size, shape and placement.  A comprehensive examination and discuss of her options with a  fully qualified plastic surgeon is her best next step.

Breast augmentation at age 18

Dear Concerned,

Many women will have completed breast development by age 18.  However, some will continue to grow breast tissue into their mid and late twenties.  Check with your pediatrician and see if he/she has classified your daughter as a Tanner stage IV, indicating that her breasts are fully developed.  If so, she might be a great candidate for breast augmentation.  Good luck!

Too young for breast augmentation?

Maturity has a great deal to do with the final decision about breast augmentations for an individual.  The current feeling in the U.S. is that for some unknown reason a young woman is eligible to have a silicone implant when she was 21 yrs. of age, and prior to that the patient would be committed to a saline implant as her choice.  The two exceptions to this would be if a patient signed a waiver and wanted to negate her warranty from the company, or if there were two very differently sized breasts and the proper balance would require two different implants made of silicone, if you desired.

This is a discussion that should be held with your local Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Always feel free to get several opinions if you desire from  the doctors you may choose.

Good luck to you!

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants for graduation

Age is all relative to the level of maturity. This must be determined by her plastic surgeon. If she is healthy, doing it for the right reasons, and has realistic expectations, then it may be acceptable to have this procedure done this age. Silicone implants would be done as an off-label procedure, and in addition, they would not be covered under the manufacturer's warranty.

Gustavo E. Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon

18 is ok but...

As already mentioned by other colleagues 18 year old is usually ok for a breast augmentation. However I'm curious wether giving such a present to your daughter would make her feel even less confident or hurt her feelings as with that move you confirm that her breasts are small. Of course unless you already talked to her about this and she seeks breast augmentation.

My best.

Kamran Efendioglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augment for graduation

I very often see patients with this request but will not perform the surgery on anyone under eighteen for purely cosmetic purposes.  Contrary to popular belief anyone can get silicone implants provided they sign a special consent.  This would mean she may be voiding the warranty and is signing for an "off label" use of the implant according to legal advice from the ASPS counsel.