I'm 17. Am I old enough to get breast implants? (Photo)

I am 17 years of age, and I am an "A" cup, I was wondering if I am old enough to get breast implants, I've seen others girls get them who are my age??

Breast Implants On A Minor?

Thank you for your question!  You must be 18 years old to undergo cosmetic surgery.  Find a double board certified plastic surgeon and have a consultation.  Best of luck!
Dr Dhaval PatelDouble Board Certified Plastic SurgeonChicago Hoffman Estates Oak Brook

Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

I'm 17. Am I old enough to get breast implants?

At 17, you are still a minor, and will require the permission of your parents to undergo any surgical procedure. I would suggest a consultation with a Board Certified plastic surgeon and your parents to determine whether or not you would be a good candidate for a breast augmentation procedure.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Breast Implants at Age 17?

In the last decade, I have an increasing number of young women in the age range of 17-19 who are interested in a breast enlargement with implants.  Your photo shows you have minimal breast development.  Although, it is true that breasts may develop late, and certainly into the early 20's, my experience has been that women like you often continue with very small breasts, especially if you have a family history of a smaller size.  Therefore, I do think it may be appropriate and certainly safe to have a breast augmentation at 17 or 19.  You would need to be emotionally and physically mature, in good health, and also realize that having breast implants is not a one time thing, as you will certainly need future surgery years later to replace the implants as they age.  Breast implants are not permanent, and even though the average lifespan may be around 20 years, you are young enough that you will need to have further surgery later in life.  It would be best for you to have a thorough consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon, and make sure that you fully understand all the information being discussed about breast implants and enlargement.

Richard G. Schwartz, MD

Hi and thanks for your question. Although not the norm, a breast augmentation can be done on a 17 year old as long as parental consent is obtained. Many feel that given more time the breast will grow and suggest waitng. However, it's been my personal experience that young women like your self will not continue to grow.

I am certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and have practiced in the"land of breast implants", Miami, for the past 29 years. I encourage you to look up the surgeon you eventually select and make sure they have years of experience in performing cosmetic breast surgery. Furthermore request to see before and after photos of previous patients by that doctor....not a clinic or surgery center. Do your homework......research and verify the doctor's credentials. Have they had problems with the Board of Medicine, disciplinary or otherwise. Any law suits?

How about the center, clinic or facility? Are they accredited by a national organization or do they just have State approval. Understand that at the current time, there are three nationally recognized organizations responsible for the highest levels of patient safety, AAAASF, AAACH and JCHO. You owe it to yourself to position yourself for the best possible results but under the most stringent safety regulations, If you have kids, even more so.

How about anesthesia? Will you have a medical doctor certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology or a certified nurse anesthetist (CRNA)? Understand that there is no substitute for research. Cosmetic surgery, no matter how simple it may be to the patients, are invasive procedures and as such carry certain risks and complications.

I wish you the best on your journey. I hope that the info provided has been helpful. I would also encourage you to discuss it with your parents, particularly your mom. Moms have a better understanding of what you may be going through. There is no other operation in cosmetic surgery that enhances a woman's sefl-esteem more than a breast augmentation. Should you require any further clarification, do not hesitate to contact our institute. I answer all questions personally, not through patient coordinators or other marketing individuals.

In our office we use TouchMD which is a web based program in which patients have the ability to load their picture unto the program. I then evaluate them and can actually draw on the picture to show a potential patient where the incisions would be located and how the procedure is to be realized. It's all done to comply with HIPPA which is the federal law that protects the patient's medical information. Look them up.

Good luck Dr PG

Breast Augmentation Under 18

It is true to say that FDA guidelines for breast implants recommend saline implants for women 18 years old and older, and silicone implants for women over the age of 22. Having said that, there are certainly women younger than 18 that are good candidates for breast augmentation. Often there is some element of asymmetry (two sides looking very different). In my practice, if a patient who is under 18 is a good candidate for surgery, has the support of her parents and appears to be making a well thought out decision, we do offer a procedure.

I hope this helps!

Adam Rubinstein, MD

Age and implants

The age recommendations by the FDA do not preclude a younger person from getting implants, assuming the indications and consent are appropriate.

Breast augmentation - how early?

Breast augmentation is typically reserved for women over the age of 18. There are several reasons for this:

1. Breast development has often not completed until a woman is 18, 19 or even 20 years old. 
  2. Having breast implants will cause permanent changes to the breast and it is important that the patient is emotionally ready to make this decision. The implants can always be removed of course, but depending on size, incision, etc. some changes may not be reversible.
  3. The FDA restricts the use of saline implants to women 18 years of age or over and silicone gel implants to women 22 years of age or over. An exception to this rule is in the case of breast reconstruction.
The bottom line is that cosmetic surgery is still surgery. There are risks involved and some complications can be severe. Waiting an additional year before making this decision is wise and allows you time to see a multiple plastic surgeons to find out if this is truly what you want.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Occasionally, women under the age of 18 can benefit from breast augmentation.

It's very seldom that I perform a breast augmentation any woman less than 18 years of age. If the parents are convinced that this is in their child's best interests and the operation will be performed. Breast augmentation by the way is a reversible procedure.

Breast Augmentation

In my practice I will not perform a cosmetic breast augmentation on a patient under the age of 18. I spend  a lot of time with patents under the age of 22 discussing their options and reasons for breast surgery. More often than not, patients wait until they are a little older to make this commitment.

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question. In regards to timing of the operation, this will vary from one patient to another and is a decision that should be individualized. If you have reached your physical “maturity”, proceeding with surgery should not be a problem. Parenteral or guardian consent will be necessary for patients under the age of 18.
 At some point, seek consultation with board certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients in your situation. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and communicate your goals clearly.  In my practice, I find the use of goal pictures helpful during this communication process.
 I hope this, and the attached link, helps.