What Would Be Best for a Young Patient with a Gaunt Face and Tear Trough Deformity? (photo)

I'm in my mid twenties and have bags under my eyes that won't seem to go away with creams and sleep - realized i have what is called a tear trough deformity. My cheeks are very sunken and flat. My skin is very clear (thank goodness!) and smooth but it only causes the gauntness in my face to stand out more. My question is what type of filler would be best (and is most affordable) and where should it be applied? or would an implant best suit? thank you for your answers.

Doctor Answers 2

Gaunt face and fillers

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Fillers  are a great substance to use to treate deflated tissues of the face. I have used in the cheeks, in lowr malar regions, the jawline, the ansolabial folds, marionette lines,  the eyebrows, the temples,etc..

New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Best filler for a gaunt face and tear trough

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Although many fillers could be used, in your particular situations I believe poly l lactic acid (Sculptra) would be my choice as it is an excellent filler for large area facial contouring.  Because it makes you make your own collagen it also is long lasting (2 years).  You should seek someone experienced in its use.

Stephen Mandy, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.