What can be done for large noticeable nodules due to Sculptra injections gone wrong?

I had injections of Sculptra several years ago. The plastic surgeon told me that the instructions on the product were incorrect. Now I have nodules - large and noticeable. He said these would diminish with time. They have not. My question is what, if anything can be done to correct this? I am wary of returning to this surgeon for advice.

Doctor Answers 7

Nodules from Sculptra

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Now that we have changed the way we dilute Sculptra, nodules have become extremely rare, thank goodness! --but that doesn't help you.

They can be broken up with a needle, injected with triamcinolone or filler of another tyoe. An be injectd around them to make them les noticeable. lastly, 5-FU has been effeted when injected into the nodules.

They will go away on their own, also.

New York Dermatologist
4.7 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

Nodules following Sculptra treatment?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hello, and sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing. In general, the nodules should disappear with time. Aside from time, other things that may improve the appearance of the nodules are the following:

1) Massage
2) Steroid injections

I would recommend following up with your surgeon regarding these options. I hope this helps, and best of luck.

What can be done for large noticeable nodules due to Sculptra injections gone wrong?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
These nodules resulting from Sculptra do typically resolve on their own over time, though this can take quite some time. Some other fillers can help to resolve the problem. I recommend visiting a dermatologist or board-certified plastic surgeon for the best options. 

You might also like...

Nodules from Sculptra

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Nodules from Sculptra can sometimes be resolved with intralesional kenalog injections.  The nodules will go away on their own but can sometimes take up to two years.  Please find a board certified dermatologist in your area with a great deal of experience in cosmetic dermatology for the best results.

Reducing Lumps After Sculptra

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi there. I'm sorry to hear about your results with Sculptra® Aesthetic. Your surgeon is correct in saying these nodules will likely diminish over time. However, the process can take months to years. Your reluctance to return to the same surgeon for help is understandable. I recommend a consultation with another doctor such as facial surgery specialist who has experience with Sculptra. Often the company that represents the product will have recommendations of experts or instructors on their website to find a physician close to you for a second opinion. He or she can recommend a treatment to reduce or even eliminate these nodules. Best of luck!

Jody Comstock, MD
Tucson Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

Sculptra Nodules fixed with steroid injection

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
An injection into the nodule of a low dose of steroids can get rid of a residual Sculptra nodule(s).  This has been quite successful for me in the past with troubling nodules in thin skinned areas.  Good luck!  

Marilyn Pelias, MD
New Orleans General Surgeon

Noticeable nodules after Sculptra treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
In my experience with Sculptra, if visible nodules do develop, they normally do go completely away over time.  This can take 2-4 years to occur though.  If it has not been 2-4 years since your last Sculptra treatment, then it is possible that an injection of a steroid into the nodules can take them away.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.