What is Best for Building Up Cheek Bone Significantly? Sculptra, Radiesse or HA Filler Eg Teosyal, Perlane or Voluma?

I don't mean the whole cheek area including the mid face, I just mean the upper cheek bone and to pull the eye troughs out so they are less visible. Would this be too superficial for sculptra and risk visible lumps if they were to form?

Doctor Answers 4

Best filler for around the eyes

When choosing a filler, the patients anatomy and the location of interest needs to be taken into consideration.  There are many great fillers, but not every filler is good for every part of the face.  For instance, Radiesse is great for the cheeks, chin and jawline as it has firm structure and can be injected right on top of the bone (kind of like an injectable implant).  However, you would not want Radiesse near your eyelids as you would see and feel fullness or lumps.  Products such as Juvederm and Restylane are great for around the eyes and the lips as these products are softer.  Additionally, the HA products such as Juvederm and Restylane can be melted away with a special injectable enzyme if you do developed any lumps or if you are not satisfied with their effect.  Products such as Sculptra are great for generalized filling of the cheeks and temporal region and many patient report improved skin texture after using Sculptra.  If you post pictures, we may be able to give you more specific advice.


Good Luck.

New York Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 75 reviews

Enhancing cheekbones

You should be assess by a dermatologist or plastic surgeon who uses all of these products.  The choice of product depends on the patient and the area that is being injected.  Sculptra is not used for the tear trough area.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 22 reviews

What is Best for Building Up Cheek Bone Significantly? Sculptra, Radiesse or HA Filler Eg Teosyal, Perlane or Voluma?

  It depends on whether you are a man or woman and how thick the subcutaneous tissues are in your face.  In thin tissue, I believe Perlane or the newer Voluma (not avialble in US yet) would be superior.  In men and thicker tissues, I will use Radiesse to shape the cheeks.  Sculptra, IMHO, is best used to fill in indentations (in the face, neck, forhead) that I want to make even with the surrounding surface thereby eliminating the indentation (or fold).  Sculptra IMO is not thick enough to mold and form.

 When looking for cheek augmentation, facial contouring and shaping using fillers be sure that the MD you choose understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial beauty required to achieve a naturally more youthful and attractive appearance.



Francis R. Palmer, III, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 24 reviews

Best option for building cheekbones

Essentially all the materials you mention could be used; but my preference is to use Radiesse or your own fat injected deep over the bone, this is most effective to create a more prominent defined cheekbone. Sculptra will work, but tends to be more diffuse. In the upper cheek area under the eyelid Radiesse is not appropriate and the other materials can be used more superficially. Fat is also an option but needs to be very carefully placed by someone with experience with fat around the eyes. I use frozen banked fat quite frequently around the eye areas as it is a smoother finer consistency than fresh fat.. Depending on what you are trying to achieve, one may combine materials with Radiesse or fat deep, and the other materials more superficially.

Jeffrey Hartog, MD
Orlando Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 60 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.