How old is too old for breast implant? I'm 68 and very healthy.

Is 68 too old for breast implant surgery?

If you're in excellent health and have no medical contraindications to surgery and by all means he you can have breast augmentation at 68.   Many patients in your age range who have always wanted bigger breasts choose to have breast augmentation surgery and do very well.

Thank you for the question. “68 and very healthy” is certainly not too old for breast augmentation surgery. Best to see your family practitioner  or internist and obtain “medical clearance” prior to seeking  consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons in your area. Then, communicate your goals carefully.  Best wishes; hopefully your only regret will be not having done it earlier in life.

Age Limit For Breast Implants?

Thank you for your question!  You are never to old for breast implants.  If you are in good shape and healthy condition there are very low risks.  Best of luck!

Dr Dhaval Patel
Double Board Certified
Plastic Surgeon
Hoffman Estates
Oak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction in the 6th Decade

As long as you are healthy and had no major medical risks a breast reduction and chin surgery can be performed at just about any age. Physiological health is more important than chronological age. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation and discuss whether you have addtional risks for surgery, for example being overweight. From your description, it sounds like you would be a reasonable candidate for surgery. I personally would recommend that you have a presurgical consultation with your primary care doctor to make sure you are in good health prior to surgery.

How old is too old for breast implants? I'm 68yo and very healthy.

Hello! Thank you for your question! Age alone is not a contraindication to a surgical procedure. There are a few medical comorbidities that contribute to a higher risk during any surgical procedure including infections, wound complications, delayed wound healing, bleeding, anesthetic risks, etc. Factors such as diabetes, hypertension, coronary artery disease, heart problems, lung problems, etc are more common in the elderly. However, if you are healthy, or these conditions are well-controlled, you would certainly still be a candidate for a surgical procedure. If your complaints or desires are great enough to consider the surgical option, I would seek a consultation with a plastic surgeon to discuss your complaints and go over the options as well as risks and benefits of the procedure.

You should obtain medical clearance from your primary care physician that you are at an acceptable risk for undergoing a surgical procedure. For elective or aesthetic procedures, your surgeon may want to get you to a reasonable health status prior to consideration for a procedure. Discuss all of your medical comorbidities and medication with your surgeon prior and discuss these risks. Also, discuss this with your anesthesiologist as proper monitoring and medications will be watched closely. This procedure should still be very safe for you and hope for an uncomplicated course with an excellent result! Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

No Such Thing as 'Too Old'

Hi Joann, and thanks for your question. There is no such thing as being "too old" to get breast implants as long as you are in good health! If you are indeed very healthy, then there's nothing standing in your way. Be sure to get clearance from your general practitioner and see a board-certified plastic surgeon for your breast augmentation. In my experience, my older patients tend to be among my most satisfied because they have often waited many years before doing something special for themselves. I commend you for doing your research and for making the choice to improve your life in this way. Best wishes!

Arthur M. Cambeiro, MD

Too old?

You know aht they say-- age is only a number. Your overall health and goals are the important factors. If they are fine then 68 is definitely O.K.
The oldest I have done for cosmetic purposes so far is 82 years young!

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Age Factor

As long as you are in great physical health, 68 is not too old for a breast augmentation. You should consult with your physician before visiting a plastic surgeon to ensure you are in good health and should get a medical clearance.

Orlando Llorente, MD

Too old?

No age discrimination here, as long as you have had normal breast screening and are healthy for an operation you are a good candidiate! 

Not too old

Hey just noticed termination for cosmetic surgery. Your medical health or lack there of is a determinant of whether you're a candidate for cosmetic surgery.