Sharp pain under ribs on left side. Is this strange?

Had BA done last Thursday and the past three days I've had a stabbing pain under my ribs on the left side that radiates up to my collar bone. My PS advised my to get checked out at th ER for blood clots and lungs. Everything was fine! It feels almost like a cramp every time I take a deep breath and is better during the day and worse in the morning. Is this strange!?! No idea what it is! But it hurts!!

Pain after breast augmentation

Hi,

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

Having said that, I am sorry to learn about your pain. It seems like you are having some nerve pain and maybe some muscle spasm. Sometimes after the surgery the patient does not move around a lot and things start to get tight and stiff. When this happens, there can be some aches. So really work on moving around, lifting your arms up and move the arms around. As for the positional pain, it could be nerve related and when the breast implants slides and hits the nerve it can cause a shooting pain towards your breast or even into your back. So do not worry, all of these pains will go away. If you feel something is wrong, you should absolutely call your PS.

I hope you found this helpful. As always ask your PS first about any questions. Have a great day.

Chest Pain Post Breast Augmentation

Since the ER cleared you for outside complications, I agree with my colleagues and advise you to make an appointment with your surgeon. In general, it can take 3-6 months for patients to fully heal post surgery so pain isn't out of the norm, but given the intensity of yours, I think it's worth checking out. 

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Sub muscular breast implants can create chest wall pain for several weeks after the procedure.

I think you should be examined by your plastic surgeon personally. Chest wall pain can be in occasional complaint in individuals with sub pectoral implants. However, other medical conditions can create similar symptoms and should be ruled out. This was why your plastic surgeon asked you to be evaluated in the emergency room.

Pain should be evaluated by surgeon

The ER has excluded the serious cause of your pain.  Now your plastic surgeon should examine you to determine the source of your pain.  Most likely it is normal.

Sharp pain after a breast augmentation

Your pain is likely due to irritation of the sensory nerves to the breast or a spasm of the intercostal muscles.  This should get better by using your pain medication.  

Breast augmentation post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question.

At this point of your post op is normal to have swelling and pain.
In my practice, after performing a Breast Augmentation I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling.

Respectfully,
Dr, Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Pain under ribs after breast augmentation

I appreciate your question.
Sounds like you might be experiencing some muscle spasms.  Please do follow up with your Surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend appropriate treatment plan.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Pain under ribs after BA

Thank you for your question. It sounds like a muscle spasm. Muscle relaxants will help. In my practice I give muscle relaxants to all of our patients after BA. Please talk to your PS and follow his/her instructions. Good Luck

Musculoskeletal Pain after BAM

Thank you for your question.  This may be muscle spasm and resolve with muscle relaxers.  I would recommend close followup with your plastic surgeon.  It should resolve with implant massage too.  All the best.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Sharp pain under ribs on left side.

Hi, stylist19.  If you did not have any pulmonary issues and clots, you most likely have musculoskeletal pain.  This may be due to muscle stretching and spasm.   It should resolve soon. However, it it persists more than couple days, continue following up with your plastic surgeon. Good luck.