Bra size equivalent. Is 34C the equivalent to a 32D?

So I've heard some say that a 34C is the equivalent to a 32D is this true?

Bra cup size equivalency

Your question is an excellent one and is commonly asked in consultation. In the current age, bra manufacturers have really created a lot of confusion in the general public. Victoria's Secret seems to be  one of the most popular manufacturers and has changed the scales completely. Small  implants can sometimes create a "D" cup and larger wide implants can be a "C" cup. Implants are not categorized in cup  size and can have unpredictable effects on the final labeling. A patient  trying the implants on before surgery should determine if they  like the "look" and the label will be determined well after the breasts have settled and healed. Best of good luck. 

Sizing

There is no way to guarantee a particular bra size. Bra sizing varies greatly between bra manufacturers and a C in one bra will be a D in another. What matters more than the assigned bra size is the way the implant looks on you. The best option for your body and aesthetic goals can be determined in a thorough implant sizing session.
Implant sizing depends on several factors. One of the most important factors is your breast width. Generally, your surgeon will measure your breast width, and then provide you with a range of implant sizes appropriate for your native breast size. There are more nuances to it than just what I've described, but this approach works for most women.
I usually have my patients bring in a large bra and a tight t-shirt to do sizing. I'll then choose 3-4 implants that I feel are appropriate, and have my patients place them in the bra under the tight t-shirt. My patients can then look in the mirror and get a good sense of what they will look like with the provided implant sizes. My patients like this approach and get a great idea of how they will look.
By using this technique, your surgeon can outline a range of appropriate implant sizes that will be aesthetically pleasing, and you make the final decision.
I hope this helps. Good luck!

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Bra size equivalent

In my opinion there is no standardization of bra cup sizes. That said I feel a 34c is in most case similar to a 32D.

Roger J. Friedman, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Measuring your Bra Size

This is a very interesting question, many thanks for asking it.In essence there are similarities to sizes.The 32 or 34 refers to the measurement around your chest in centimetres just below your breast fold.The cup size is the difference between this measurement and the measurement if a tape measurement is placed around the chest on the nipples at the most prominent area of the chest.
In essence a 34C will have a slightly wider band and a smaller cup and a 32D will have a narrower band and a larger cup.
Research has shown that most women do wear bras that do not correctly fit them and the most common issue is that the band is too wide and the cups too small.
Most experienced bra fitters would tend to fit people with a slightly narrower band and larger cup size.
This is also complicated by the fact that bra manufacturers vary in their sizing and a recent study in the United Kingdom showed the same woman being measured different in five shops she entered.
I hope this has clarified the issue slightly and if you have any further questions it might be sensible to post them on the RealSelf website.AR

Bra size equivalent. Is 34C the equivalent to a 32D

Hello! Thank you for your question. In general, implant size does not correlate with bra cup size. The cup size itself will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer as well as who is doing the actual measurements. Thus, cup size is never a reliable indicator for your breast size. I typically encourage my patients not to communicate her desires in cup size but more on the actual look and appearance.  The number is the actual chest girth, which would not change - the cup size letter is the amount of projection past this initial chest width. 

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Bra Sizes

No the sizes are not the same, but there is no real standardization of cup size- so one manufacturer's C is another one's D. Don't worry much about the size- find what fits you best.

Scott E. Newman, MD, FACS

Bra or Cup Size

Bra cup sizes can vary quite a bit between manufacturers. This inconsistency is what makes cup size an unreliable way to plan for a breast augmentation, if you are considering this procedure. Due to this, breast implants are measured in cubic centimeters, or cc. 

Jeremy A. Benedetti, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Bra size

Every bra company is different, but that is what some say with smaller band, the cup is larger.  Best to be measured professionally.

Bra sizes 34C=32D

Thank you for the question. Yes with most bra manufacturers this statement holds true. The smaller you go on the chest circumference the larger the cup size goes.  
The same size bras sometimes don't fit exactly the same a lot depends on the fabric and style of the bra. Demi bras run smaller than fuller coverage cups.

Happy bra shopping!

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS

True, that is the general trend of cup sizes. But is also depends on the manufacturer and also between different companies there are variances. 

Hani Sinno, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon