Varicose Veins and VenaSeal: Is this better than other varicose vein treatments? (photo)

The FDA approved a new varicose vein treatment that's basically an adhesive that seals affected veins. Read that it's a permanent solution, but what else do can one need to know about it and when will it be available? Is this the best varicose vein treatment on the market? And is it dangerous at all? The fact that it is an "adhesive" scares me a little...

Venaseal is already available.  In fact, our clinic in Miami is a training site for this procedure.  Overall, general patient response and satisfaction for Venaseal has been higher for us when compared to laser or radiofrequency ablation.  This is mainly because Venaseal does not require patients to return on multiple occasions and further, no compression therapy needed after.  In terms of efficacy, Venaseal has been shown to be equal or more effective than current traditional modalities.

Miami Physician

The Venaseal is pretty safe. There was a multi centre European study for 70 patients ( I participated as an investigator in the trial) which concluded that the Venaseal is quite safe and recommendations were for comparison with vein treatments using heat. This triggered the FDA study which included 108 patients in the glue treatment which compared it with radio frequency treatment. There wasn't a single case of migration of glue and no deep vein thrombosis. I did over 50 cases and none of my patients had deep vein thrombosis . I have been following my patients for over 3 years now and it proves to be a great success. Glue has already been used in the human body for over 20 years for arteriovenous malformations. It is only new to use in varicose veins

VenaSeal is new technique.

VenaSeal was just FDA approved and seems to show promise in treating varicose veins.  However, no treatment is permanent and I would recommend waiting for some feedback from US physicians using it before choosing this over tried and true closure procedures.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

VenaSeal by Sapheon and Medtronic is FDA approved for use in the USA - Buffalo Niagara Varicose Vein Treatment

It was approved approximately 5 days ago (as of this writing).

I would wait several months - it is approved for treating venous insufficiency. 

It is a glue so the concerns are what happens to the glue if it inadvertently gets into the deep veins. It is meant to be injected into superficial veins (varicose veins), but since it is fluid and before it congeals and becomes solidified, the safety concerns would be if it enters the deep veins of the legs and causes deep vein thrombosis or if it travels to the lungs and causes pulmonary embolism. 

I think it will eventually have a significant role as an adjunctive therapy for varicose veins.

Traditional methods to date are foam sclerotherapy, VNUS Closure, EVLT laser, ClariVein and microphlebectomy. 

See link below for FDA press release. 

The vein Treatment Center has a Director who is an MD and a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons and who has added board certification from the American Board of Surgery, American Board of Thoracic Surgery (cardiovascular surgey) and who is certified by the American Board of Venous and Lymphatic Medicine (ABVLM). Dr Karamanoukian is also a registered physician in vascular interpretation (RPVI).

The Vein Treatment Center performs VNUS Closure, EVLT laser ablation, ClariVein, foam sclerotherapy among other ablation technologies.

We are currently (February 2015) evaluating Sapheon and Varithena - glue and chemical ablation.