Are there generic Fraxel laser heads? Is it common practice?

I recently had fraxel 1550 and the nurse mentioned they were able to give better price discounts because they could now get aftermarket laser heads. Is this common or safe? I've had fraxel in the past when they painted you blue and this was drastically different.

Fraxel and Tips

Fraxel is a fabulous laser.  Many years ago the old Fraxel laser required painting the patient with a blue dye.  The newer Fraxel CPT laser does not need this but does require a special tip from the company which is a consumable for each patient.  These tips are very expensive but can only be purchased directly from the company themselves.  For the best results please consult a board certified physician with experience with Fraxel laser.