How to Fix a Tara Reid Tummy With Lumps and Wrinkles From BodyTite Lipo? (photo)

I had bodytite lipo in June of 2010, I have a lump and a wrinkle at the top of my abdomen (see pic) kinda like Tara Reid I am wondering how to get this fixed? What happened here? Is a tummy tuck my only option? A mini tummy tuck? Fat grafting? Really unsure... thanks so much!!

Laser or radiofrequency 'tightening' liposuction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are many new liposuction tightening procedure that have come onto the market.

Especially with the new radiofrequency techniques, some offer promise for tightening.  Some of the more advanced technologies offer bipolar energy delivery and accurate internal and external temperature monitoring, avoiding the burns of past technologies.  We have many of the newer technology machines and don't promise more than they deliver, and our patients are happy as a result.

For the end stage liposuction abdomen with multiple irregularities, the so-called 'Tara Reid' type abdomen, a tummy tuck will be necessary to get the best results.

Fixing a Tara Reid Tummy

Hi and thanks for the question.  Its difficult to make an accurate assessment without having the luxury of seeing your BodyTite pre-procedure photos. The procedure produces profound tightening in experienced hands.  Having said that, I believe you have a couple things going on, including persistent soft-tissue laxity with localized areas of adiposity.  An abdominoplasty would certainly help remedy the areas of loose skin.  Its likely that you would require additional lipoplasty as an additional separate procedure to address the persistent areas of fat.  Given that you've had BodyTite lipo before, I wold recommend Vaser-assisted lipoplasty, as this device is very effective in managing revision lipoplasty cases.

Warmest Regards, 

Glenn Vallecillos, MD, FACS

Glenn Vallecillos, MD, FACS

Tara Reid Abdomen

Hello Leeesa1,

I am sorry you have this unsatisfactory result.  Although your photo is not perfect in giving me the information needed, I believe that you have a number of issues. First, you have some fat irregularities due to uneven removal/resorption of fat from the liposuction and laser lipolysis. Second, you have a loosening of skin support, causing waves and wrinkles in your skin.  Finally, you have redundancy of your skin (extra skin) in both the upper and lower abdomen.  Because of all these issues, revision liposuction, fat grafting, and even a mini-tummy tuck would be poor treatment options to solve your aesthetic issues.  Only a full abdominoplasty will tighten the skin both above and below the belly button.  Additionally, any irregularities in the thickness of the abdominal skin flap (irregularities in the thickness of the fatty tissue) can be addressed as well.

Don't worry, this is not the worst thing that could have happened to you from laser lipolysis.  Although these issues seem insurmountable, an abdominoplasty performed by a well trained and highly experienced surgeon will make your abdomen look very nice, one that should make you very happy and content with.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Abdomen after BodyTite

Purely from the photos alone it appears that a regular tummy tuck, probably with a little liposuction, would improve your overall abdominal appearance.  It's hard to say without the benefit of your pre-operative photos and a pre-op/post-op exam, but it would seem you were likely a good candidate for tummy tuck from the start.  I often stage patients such as yourself with tummy tuck first and then liposuction later.  Or vice versa.  Probably less of an issue with technique than patient selection/expectation setting.  I hope it all works out for you. 

James E. Chappell, MD, FACS

Board Certified plastic surgeon

Addressing contour irregularities

The "Tara Reid" abdomen, as it has come to be known, refers to an abdominal region which is marked by the contour irregularities which can follow (over) aggressive liposuction. This is best addressed by an abdominoplasty. This will allow removal of lax skin and allow the areas fat irregularity to be addressed directly. There are other options including revisionary liposuction and fat grafting, however, these are more symptomatic treatments than a so called "cure."

As always, discuss your concerns with a board certified plastic surgeon (ABPS).

Donovan Rosas, MD
Kissimmee Plastic Surgeon

Options

Hello, thank you for taking time to present this result which you are seeking options to get it fixed.  Of course, pictures are helpful and I do see the specific area with the wrinkle.  It appears that your normal aging process is contributing to this present appearance but without more history (like the "lump and wrinkle have always been there") I am not certain it is the sole contributor.  So I will dive into options to fix.  Tummy tuck is certainly an option.  The photo may be deceiving me but there appears to be a relatively wide muscle separation in the upper abdomen (diastasis recti)...a tummy tuck is one way to correct the diastasis as well as the skin. Fat grafting acts as a filler but it would not do a good job with the wrinle.  Skin tightening technologies such as Fractora or Exilis may be considered to attempt to correct the laxity. There are options and a qualified plastic surgeon should be able to present all of those to you.  

Mark H. Peters, MD
Houma Plastic Surgeon

Laser liposuction complications

There are a myriad of “laser” liposuction machines that are being promoted by manufacturers and some surgeons with unproven claims.  Your unsatisfactory results are a proof that it’s much more important to pick the right surgeon than the right “tool”.  In my practice I use various liposuction tools to achieve desired result.  You could benefit from revision lipo-sculpture, that would involve redistribution of fat to smooth out your contour.  You do not need  a tummy tuck.  Please consult a surgeon that has lots of experience with correcting these type of deformities.

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

How to Fix a Tara Reid Tummy With Lumps and Wrinkles From BodyTite Lipo?

The poor exposed photo of ONLY one view allows the only treatment as fat grafting with maybe some expert superficial liposcultpure. Best to be seen in person by many surgeons.  Sorry for your issues. 

correction of a tara Reid abdomen

Dear Leeesa 1,

you are right, you have an abdomen like Tara Reid. this is an unfortunate and quite frustrating poor result of liposuction.

you may need several revisions.

First I would offer you to revise with just liposuction. this has to be done with "hyper tumescence " to swell up the tissues adequately.  Only  very fine cannulas ( 2-3 mm ) should be used, and most of it with no suction on, to 'equalize " the fatty layers.

you may or may not need fat grafting at the same time.

If this is not enough to improve the appearance of your abdomen, then 6 months or 1 year later you may have to consider a mini or full tummy tuck if the skin laxity allows it, and assuming you are finished with having children.

a tummy tuck will tense the skin and give you a "tighter " look.But this is to the price of another procedure, a scar in your lower abdomen, and the need to take off work 2 weeks. 

This is quite a problem, and I am not sure if you are ready to go that route with the added costs etc..

your new surgeon should be Board Certified in Plastic Surgery and have experience in this type of revision.

Good luck

Florence Mussat, MD

Florence Mussat, MD

Treatment for abdominal rippling and irregularities

It looks like a tummy tuck type of procedure is the way to go to tighten the skin and smooth the contour. You have waited long enough. Spot fat grafting will be difficult to do.

Michele A. Shermak, MD