How can I fix my tear trough? I feel so ugly with them and I need help. (photo)

I want fillers to be my last choice as I am really young (16)

Doctor Answers 10

How can I fix my tear trough? I feel so ugly with them and I need help.

Based on the photo provided I think you would get a great result using Restylane for the tear troughs, this will help eliminate the dark shadow and also the hollowness. I suggest you seek a reputable board certified physician for an in-person evaluation

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 492 reviews

Options for tear trough (hollow lower eyelids)

Fillers are your best choice, as they are safe, effective and relatively long lasting around the eyes. Another options is tear trough implant, which is obviously more invasive but permanent. See an oculoplastic surgeon for consideration.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 72 reviews

Tear trough injections

In my opinion the best treatment for hollow tear troughs is dermal filler Belotero Balance.  It's already hydrated so it's easier to not over-fill unlike other fillers.  You do have to be over 18 or have your parents consent.

James F. Farrell, MD (in memoriam)
Winter Park Facial Plastic Surgeon
3.8 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

Maybe there are two issues to consider

first is the self-conscious feeling and second is the very minor accentuation of the lines under the eyes...for the first a discussion with your family doctor is a good idea to make certain you're not suffering from depression or some other condition...then after this, a visit with your parents to a dermatologist / plastic surgeon might be in order to look into a really doesn't matter witch of the standard options you select...juvederm, restylane, belotero...they all work...

Ken Landow, MD
Las Vegas Dermatologist
4.6 out of 5 stars 9 reviews

Tear trough treatment

You are a maturing young man, yet to be the person you will ultimately become. I thought I was really ugly at 16 and had plenty of things to blame it on. It's really tough being sixteen. High School kids are mean. If I were you I would not do anything to your tear trough area. Instead you should charge forward with your head held high. Be proud of who you are and let this stage pass!

Daniel Lensink, MD
Redding Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

Hollow tear trough in a 16 yr old male

You would need your parents' consent so it is best they come with you. Belotero injection is also a good choice.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Best Treatment for Hollow Tear Troughs

Hi Kobefan24,

Time to become a fan of another player, looks like Kobe's days of greatness are nearly over.  Also, time to discuss this with your parents if you are serious about having treatment.  You are not ugly, and frankly filling your tear trough will not overcome the way you are feeling about yourself. 

The only treatment for your tear troughs would be using Restylane to fill them.  Even though you are young, Restylane lasts for a long time in this immobile area.  Using something more permanent such as fat transfer is not indicated at your young age because of the risks of hypertrophy of the fat as you get older and gain weight.

Most importantly choose your injected physician  most carefully for this delicate and unforgiving area.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P
Encino, CA

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 36 reviews

Restylane for Tear Troughs

Hi KF. With your age and the texture, Restylane would be a great option.  

Restylane is a hyaluronic acid based dermal filler that provides facial volume. It's great for filling out the area under your eyes that is set back and will help with the contours of the area as well as the color.

You can find examples of similar patient treatments at the link below.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD
Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.3 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

Tear Trough Filling

The area under the eyes is best filled with Restylane or Belotero.  It will probably take about one syringe to correct this area.  Please find an experienced dermatologist for these injections under the eyes.

Michele S. Green, MD
New York Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 76 reviews

Fillers for the under-eye area

I agree with the other physicians -- small amounts of soft tissue fillers can help with the shadowing and hollowness in the under eye area. In this area, I use Restylane or Belotero Balance. In addition, I generally use micro-cannulas for this area to minimize bruising.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 110 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.