What Can I Do to Fix my Sagging Breast over my Implant After Having My Baby? (photo)

I have saline implants under the muscle and after my baby my natural breast is sagging over the implant.

Doctor Answers 9

Sagging Breast over my Implant After Having My Baby

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The only option would be a mastopexy, or implant exchange with mastopexy.  You have skin laxity after pregnancy, and this will not improve without surgery.  Good luck!

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 109 reviews

Changes in breast shape with implants following pregnancy

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thanks for providing the photos, which clearly show that your breast tissue is sagging down over the implant - this is called "ptosis". Your breast implants don't change with time, but the overlying breast tissue will change with pregnancy and breast feeding. Pregnancy causes the breast tissue to increase in volume, stretching the overlying skin. The volume generally decreases after breast feeding, but often the soft tissues don't spring back to where they were - this leads to the sagging. The good news is that this can be surgically corrected by a procedure called a "mastopexy" (or breast lift). It does involve scars on the breast around the nipple (sometimes even a "lollipop" scar). This procedure aims to put the breast tissue back up onto the chest where it belongs. Talk to your local plastic surgeon for more information. I hope this helps.

Mastopexy can help to address post-pregnancy breast changes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dramatic changes to the breast can occur with pregnancy and breast feeding.  Residual effects can require surgery to restore a pre-pregnancy contour.  Depending on the specifics in your case, details that can only be determined by an in-person consultation, mastopexy (breast lift), with or without implant exchange or other procedures, may be recommended.  Specific recommendations can be discussed with a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area.

Post-pregnancy changes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It looks like the breast has drooped, with the wear & tear of pregnancy and breast feeding.   This can be fixed by performing a breast lift ("mastopexy") to re-center the breast tissue back up where it used to be.  See a qualified plastic surgeon in your neighborhood to discuss this.

Sagging breasts after pregnancy

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

From you pictures it seems that your skin stretched out with your pregnancies. This can be fixed with a breast lift or mastopexy. There are a number of techniques to do this so you should seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who can discuss them with you and help you decide what is best for you. Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD (retired)
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Post Pregnancy Breast Changes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

From your photos, it appears that you have a classic sign of aging of the breasts "off" the implants. This would require several steps to fully correct your concerns. You need a full breast lift in addition to the possibility of addressing the implant type (change to silicone) and the capsule if needed. Much of this would be determined after a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

You should see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to get a formal opinion through and in-person consultation. 

Best of luck,


Vincent Marin, MD
San Diego Plastic Surgeon

Vincent P. Marin, MD
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 52 reviews

Breast lift needed to fix sagging

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The breast and skin has stretched over the implants.  A breast lift (mastopexy) is needed to fix the sagging and uneveness.  You may also need to exchange the implants.  Seek consultation with a plastic surgeon.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD (retired)
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

How to Fix " Sagging” Breasts after Pregnancy?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for the question and pictures.

You will benefit from breast lifting and/or exchange of breast implants. Exactly which procedure and size/type of breast implant will be recommended to you will depend on your goals.

I would suggest that you do the following:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining which operation and/or breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "huge and fake” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

I hope this helps.

What Can I Do to Fix my Sagging Breast over my Implant After Having My Baby?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Photos demonstrate a post pregnancy ptosis over implants. Only treatment is a full lift mastopexy. Discuss with your PS

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.