Is Their a Limit to How Many Cc's You Can Get when You're Getting a Lift and Have Big Areolas? (photo)

I was really wanting big breasts and wanting 375cc-400cc but my surgeon said because of the skin that was going to be removed he couldnt place to big of an implant we agreed on 375cc but when i woke up from my surgery I was told he only filled them to 360cc, very disapointed, but I do love them now only because they are swollen and high but was he right about how many cc's you are able to get ?

Limiting Size

There is a limit that would still allow your surgeon to elevate the breast, close the tissues with adequate support, and keep your tissues viable. 

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and augmentation

At this point, you have to allow for things to heal and settle down. Give it a few months. If unhappy with the result, you should then discuss it with your surgeon.

Breast lift and Augmentation

Having a lift and an augmentation are two contrasting procedures. A lift tightens the breast and makes it smaller while an implant makes the breast larger. The has to be a middle ground reached. Meaning, you can only place a certain size implant in when the breast is lifted and tightened. The last thing anyone wants is to have an implant that is too big and the incisions can't  e closed. 

Breast Implant Size when Undergoing Breast Lifting?

Thank you for the question and picture.

Yes, there is a limit of how  large a breast implant can be used when the patient is undergoing breast lifting at the same time. This limit is a judgment call made by your plastic surgeon intraoperatively.

Generally speaking, the combination breast augmentation / mastopexy surgery differs from breast augmentation surgery alone in that it carries increased risk compared to either breast augmentation or mastopexy surgery performed separately. Furthermore, the potential need for revisionary surgery is increased with breast augmentation / mastopexy surgery done at the same time.

I would suggest that you wait at least 3 to 6 months before evaluating the end results of surgery;  it will be much safer to increase the size of the breasts in the future.

Implants vs. Lift

I think your surgeon is correct.  There is a definite tug of war when doing an augmentation and lift at the same time.  Not only do implants tend to stretch the skin while the lift tries to reduce it,  but also, the implants add weight to the breasts while the lift attempts to hold up the breasts against gravity.  A heavier breast is harder to keep up.  Generally, I think its better to accept a somewhat smaller implant for an overall better result.  And don't forget, don't get hung up on the numbers (360cc vs 375cc). What matters is the appearance and how your breasts look over time.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Breast lifts tighten and implants stretch

The conflict is that lifts tighten the breasts and implants stretch them.  Done together, if the stretching is too much or the tightening is too much, you can have problems. So, in that case, it is often the better plan to do them in two stages.  In your case, you can let them heal for 4-6 months and if they need to be bigger, you can put in bigger implants.