Had coolsculpting 3 weeks ago, inner & outer thighs. Thighs larger than before. Like my thighs are bloated. Is this normal?

Is this normal? How long before this will go away if normal? What can I use possibly to compress without pushing into my ankles/foot?

Yes, temporary swelling is completely normal in any area that has had a CoolSculpting treatment. It can last for a few weeks. Of course the degree of swelling and the time it takes to resolve will vary person to person.

Las Vegas OB/GYN

Swelling following Cool Sculpt

Each patient experiences a little different level of swelling per say following cool sculpt. If you feel like they are larger than before this is still normal recovery at the 3 week mark. I believe your feeling will resolve soon and hopefully give you the results you desire at the 3 month mark. If you have questions please contact your provider but you are located somewhat near my practice so if you need cool sculpt help in the future please don't hesitate to contact our practice in Columbus. 

Timothy Treece, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. This can be normal. It can take weeks for the swelling to resolve. I would recommend compression to the area. If you are concerned, see your chosen provider. 

Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

CoolSculpting

This is absolutely normal- don't worry yet.  It takes 12 weeks to get your maximum result. 

CoolSculpting causes the fat cells to kill themselves "apoptosis" which causes an inflammatory response.  You are swollen.

Be patient.

As far as compression- spanx or something like that may make you feel better but won't affect your result in the end.

Melanie L. Petro, MD
Birmingham Facial Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting and Swelling

Swelling and bruising occur after coolsculpting and can stay for weeks to months till the improvement is seen . Please see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Swelling after CoolSculpting

Dear bcytiak:

Actually, swelling is not a common complaint after CoolSculpting, in my experience. However, I think, depending upon what area you have treated and how you wear your clothing, you could see some temporary swelling in the treated areas.  The best compression garment would be toe-to-waist compression stockings, which you can find online or in surgical supply stores. Another option would be Spanx. The compression itself should improve it.

Dr. Clark

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Coolsculpting and Thighs

Coolsculpting is one of the most popular procedures in my office, especially for thighs with the new applicator.  You can have some initial swelling but it should resolve quickly.  The full results take three to four months. If there is any concern you should return at once to your treating physician for examination.  Best, Dr. Green

Some swelling is normal temporarily after CoolSculpting for fat reduction

CoolSculpting has a very high patient satisfaction rating in my NYC practice but there is often a temporary swelling that obscures the eventual good results. one may not see shrinkage for one to two months after the procedure.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice. The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon