Fat Transfer to Breasts - My doctor says they can get me up 2 cup sizes. I am about 5'4 107 lbs and 22 years old.

I'm looking to get a fat transfer to my breasts. My doctor says they can get me up 2 cup sizes ( I am about 5'4 107 lbs and 22 years old). They're going to be using UAL technique. I've been hearing so many different opinions and I just want to know the truth. I dont know what to do, I'm really stuck. I want larger breasts but if I can do it without implants, I'd be ecstatic. My biggest fear out of all of this is the results of the Liposuction (I don't want to end up like Tara Reid with all the dimples). Can someone advise me on this matter?

Fat transfer works but not after ultrasound-assisted liposuction

I been doing fat grafting for more than 11 years and fat grafting to the breast for 3 years. It works, but:

1) You cannot increase the breast size more than a cup size

2) You do not have a lot of fat, UAL is ultrasoinc harvesting and will kill all the fat cells

3) I am concerned that your doctor does not have enough experince, otherwise he would not suggest UAL

4) Make sure to ask for referral from previous patients, and also ask for mammogram of the previous patients

5) I have an on-going study with NIH. You can check it under clinicaltrials.gov and search under fat injection.

Thank you.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Fat injection to the breasts

It is so intuitively appealing... natural tissue injected into the breasts, all natural breast tissue that survives. What could be better?
Here's the rub.
Fat injection consists of mainly dead cells, with a disputed amount of living cells. Our research showed 20-25% alive, other studies have shown as low as 3% if you look at the ability of the cells to "breathe" (metabolize).
Those dead cells, when injected into the breasts, either are dissolved away by the body's white blood cells, or form chronic inflammatory reactions and are walled off (granulomatous reactions) or form fatty cysts. Lumpiness can also occur with the above problems as well.
It is the walling off process that causes the most worry. Calcium formation is common in granulomatous reactions. Calcium is what clues off mammographers to the presence of cancer. So will there be false positive mammograms for cancer in patients who have this technique? We'll have to wait and see.
In five years' time, we will have our answers. Until then, patients receiving this technique will take a certain risk. We won't be using this technique in our practice until more data are available.
UAL, by the way, (and also the laser) melts and destroys fat cells with ultrasound waves (or laser heat). This technique would guarantee only dead cells are introduced.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Consider your options very carefully

The previous answer is accurate, but you need to know that at this time in the U.S. the option for fat grafting to the breast is specifically banned by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, so no board-certified plastic surgeon would do it for augmentation unless it is part of an approved clinical trial.

Also, the use of VASER here doesn't make sense to me; I do use it frequently but the ultrasound actually destroys the fat cells so it would not be suitable for grafting. We do hope to have the option of using fat in the breast in the not too distant future but for now caution is advised.

Richard Baxter, MD

Breast Augmentation Using Your Own Fat

Breast Augmentation using your own fat a potentially great procedure.  You get liposuction of the fat in the unwanted areas and also get a breast augmentation using your own fat, a 100% natural substance.  Once fully healed these breasts are indistinguishable from 'normal' non-augmented breasts.

HOWEVER, patients always overestimate the amount of fat that they have for the use of breast augmentation.  If you are 5'4" and 107lb, you will barely have enough fat for a half cup increase.  There is just no way I can imagine that you will gain two cup sizes.  I think you should seek a second opinion from another board certified plastic surgeon who has experience with fat grafting.

When you go back to visit your surgeon again, ask him/her about his/her board certification.  You also want to see before and after pictures of other patients that had a two cup size increase.  And you want to make sure the after pictures were taken at least 3 months after the surgery.  If the doctor is reputable, he will certainly have at least one happy patient that is willing to talk to others potential patients about her experiences.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Ultrasonic liposuction for fat transfer is not good

For fat transfer to work, the cells harvested must be injected alive. Ultrasonic liposuction kills the fat cells. The injection will then only last for a brief time.

Also, for someone who is 5ft4inches and 107 lbs, it highly likely that you do not have enough fat to make a significant difference. Herein lies the dilemma for Fat Transfer for Breast augmentation, most small breasted woman do not have enough fat to make a difference.

Typically, 200 cc of fat is one cup size improvement.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Breast lipoaugmrntation or fat transfer to breasts

I do perform this procedure for selected patients. It is not suitable for everyone and is usually twice more expensive. However you can simply not use dead cells after UAL or laser lipo. The cells are damaged after such procedures reducing their survival. Also, you can not go up more than one cup size at a time at best. Thus you will need two procedures at least.

FAT GRAFTING WORKS FOR BREAST AUGMENTATION - BUT NOT FOR EVERYONE

I do not believe you are a good candidate for this procedure because:

• you have inadequate fatty stores / deposits - based on your weight and height
  • the technique you have chosen (UAL) will only graft / inject dead cells - this will be reabsorbed and you will be left pretty much where you started, with regards to your beasts.

Don't forget that the possibility to end up with irregularities (dimples) is still present.

Dr. Carlos Cordoba
MDCM, CSPQ, FRCS, FACS
Plastic & Esthetic Surgeon
4055 Ste-Catherine O. Suite 100
Montreal, QC. Canada H3Z 3J8
514-932-7667

Carlos Cordoba, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Fat transfer to the breast- liposuction is a secondary benefit !

We do fat transfer to the breast for augmentation- I have to be honest : thus far, patients have been as happy, sometimes happier, with their LIPOSUCTION results obtained from this procedure. Fat grafting to the breast can give a fairly reliable ONE CUP size augmentation with appropriate BRAVA pre-expansion. Without pre-expansion, results are less reliable. I tell every patient that we see for breast fat grafting that a breast implant can give them a reliable result at less cost and risk than fat grafting. Despite this discussion, we have patients interested in the procedure- we only offer it to patients that understand the substantial benefits and limitations of the procedure.

Fat transfer for breasts - Very controversial and inconsistent procedure at best

Using fat liposuctioned from other areas in your body has been written about for over 15 years. It is most often performed by physicians who are not board certified plastic surgeons and are looking for a way to break into the breast augmentation market. Since fat reabsorption is inconsistent, the question arises as to whether to overinject fat, with the assumption that a certain percentage will reabsorb. That's how it's done in many other parts of the body such as cheek augmentation. In addition, fat that does not survive may undergo calcification, which may suggest to a radiologist, the presence of a malignant breast tumor, on mammogram.

From a cost standpoint, some of the "cosmetic surgeons" charge more for breast augmentation with fat than most board certified plastic surgeon charge for breast augmentation with implants. In addition, fat injections do not produce a long-term result, especially if the fat is harvested using ultrasonic liposuction, which emulsifies fat cells

Joseph M. Perlman, MD

Breast augmentation with liposuction and fat injections: NO UAL

Dr. Seify had succinctly summarized some of the concerns with breast augmentation using fat injection.

I only have one, but very important concern.

PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT THE FAT IS NOT HARVESTED WITH UAL TECHNIQUE.

The fat obtained with UAL is completely dead and you will essentially be injecting oil into the breasts which will result in cyst formation and other potential complications.

Although fat is easy to put on and hard to eliminate, it is an extremely delicate tissue and the cells must be obtained using a delicate technique. Many surgeons strongly advocate syringe liposuction (rather than a suction machine). The fat is typically prepared to eliminate the ruptured cells as well as any blood.

However, as Dr. Seify stated, this is largely investigational and currently not the standard of care. There are many exciting options in the future inlcuding the use of stem cells harvested from liposuction material but this remains to be put in to widespread use.

I hope this helps!