Fat Injections to Correct Breast Asymmetry?

I'm interested in having something done to my breast because the right side is one cup size smaller than the left. But I was wondering, can I have fat injected into my breast instead of silicone implants?
I don't want to have Macrolane injections because I don't know how safe it is, and I don't want implants. I hate the fake look. Help me please.

Fat injections may help

Fat injections can be used to correct breats asymmetry. However, treatment of asymmetry can include treatment of both breasts to obtain better symmetry in many cases. Or you may have other factors in your asymmetry, such as nipple asymmtery or skin envelope issues, that may require other treatment. Implants, either saline or silicone are more commonly used to correct breast asymmetry. Most surgeons do not perform fat grafts and there are no standards for breast fat grafting as of yet. The Brava method combined with fat grafts requires your active participation and is performed by few surgeons at present.

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Fat Transfer

A person’s own fat may be used to improve the appearance of his or her body by moving it from an area of excess (or where it is less desired, such as the thighs, hips or abdomen) to an area that has lost tissue volume due to aging, trauma, surgery, certain diseases, birth defects, or other causes.
Ideal candidates are in good health, and have excess fat in some parts of the body and too little in other regions. Fat grafting is most often used for the face, breasts and buttocks. Typically, the transferred fat results in a significant increase in volume of the body site being treated.
Fat for lipoinjection, also called fat transfer, is removed from unwanted areas of the body by a narrow blunt tip surgical instrument with side holes, called a cannula, through a small incision. The fat is then cleaned with sterile saline solution before being restored to the body. The fat is then injected into the desired area using either a smaller cannula or needle, or it may be placed directly through an incision. Since some of the fat that is transferred does not remain over time, your surgeon may inject more than is ultimately needed to achieve the desired end result. Over a few weeks, the amount of transferred fat will decrease.
There is a limit of how much fat can be safely injected into one area. The amount of fat that remains over time is variable from patient to patient. For some patients, more fat or other fillers may need to be transferred in a subsequent surgery to maintain or supplement the desired results.

Fat transfer to the breast involves a relatively short recovery - just a few weeks.

#breastaugmentation
#BA
#fattransferBA

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Breast asymmetry options

Thank you for your question. Breast asymmetry is very common, particularly size asymmetry. If you are looking to decrease the asymmetry from one breast to another, then you have several options.
1) You can reduce the larger breast with liposuction or a traditional breast reduction technique
2) You can enlarge the smaller one with fat grafting or an implant
3) You can enlarge both but use different size implants
4) A lift procedure may also be needed to help address differences in shape, nipple position and areolar size.
I would visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options in more detail.

Fat injection for Breast Assymetry. Good idea.

I think fat injection is a great idea to correct breast asymmetry. It allows the fat to be placed exactly where you need it, in contrast with an implant which is very limited in its placement options.

You do need to know about the specific risks for this procedure, but it in not as risky as we used to think. A good mammographer can differentiate between fat necrosis from fat injection and other breast surgery, and calcification from breast cancer.

Go for it.

Rodney A. Green, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Fat injections to the breast

Fat injecting to the breast can be performed, but it is still a bit controversial.  If there is a significant size difference, you may be better off with an implant even though you prefer not to have one.

Fat injections to correct breast asymmetry

Fat injections can be performed but remains controversial.

It may make the interpretation of future mammograms more difficult. If you are at higher risk for developing breast cancer this may play a role in the decision making process. The other option is to consider the BRAVA system.

Call around to find plastic surgeons who may be willing to use fat injections as an option.