I'm 32 years old, and I have dark spots on my face. Best Treatment for Dark Spots?

I'm 32 years old, and I have dark spots on my face. I have tried all kinds of products like fade creams, and even tried covering it up with make up. What is the best treatment for these spots?

Treatments for Dark Spots

Brown spots on the skin, typically on the face, chest, shoulders, and back of hands can be the direct result of unprotected exposure to the sun. They can also be a result of hormonal changes and are a common skin problem that we consult many of our patients about.The flat spots on the skin, also called age spots, sun spots, solar lentigines, or liver spots (even though they have nothing to do with the liver) are triggered after prolonged sun exposure. When the sun’s UV rays hit the skin, they damage the pigment-producing cells called melanocytes and causing a spike in production of the skin pigment called melanin. They’re common in patients with fair skin, but they can also appear in those with darker skin.
These spots range in color from brown to tan to dark brown based on how much sun exposure you’ve had—and cause your skin to look blotchy, freckled, and uneven. And they vary in size, again depending on how much sun you’ve been exposed to.
Link to hormones: As hormone levels may change during events such as pregnancy or due to birth control pills, brown, uneven patches can appear on a woman’s face when the skin is exposed to the sun. It seems that sunlight triggers the pigment-producing cells in the skin to go into overdrive. Called the melasma, these dark patches may persist and not improve even with bleaching creams.
We commonly treat these brown spots or patches with chemical peels (which exfoliate the outermost layer of skin, removing the dark spots), light therapy and lasers (the energy blasts away pigment).

Best treatment for dark spots

The dark spots need to be evaluated as to palpability and location. In other words brown spots on the legs may react differently than those on the face. Also, if the brown spot is elevated than that will require a different treatment than a flat lesion. If the lesion is discrete or a confluent patch also will tell the dermatologist how to approach these dark spots.

In general, creams wont work for elevated , palpable dark spots and may work for flat spots. Depending on the type of spot it is will let the dermatologist choose the best method of treatment , whether or not to use laser, creams, or cryosurgery, or a combination of the above.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Dark spots on the face

First, have these spots evaluated by a dermatologist to make sure they are benign.  Sun spots, melasma, and other facial hyperpigmentation are often treated with a combination of sunscreen, prescription bleaching creams containing hydroquinone, non-hydroquinone containing creams, peels, retinoids, and laser treatments.  And it's always essential to protect your skin from the sun. 

Donna Bilu Martin, MD
Aventura Dermatologist