Will eyelashes grow after being cut?

Hello, I'm a 16 year old; I accidentally cut a small length of my eyelashes. They seem odd as the rest of my eyelashes are long and only a part of them is shorter. It's been a month now and I don't feel like they've grown and my parents don't agree on using Latisse! Will they grow back naturally?

Cut eyelashes will grow back

It takes about 8-16 weeks for eyelashes to grow back.  Latisse could speed that up but is not necessary.

If you are considering Latisse, see a doctor to prescribe it to you.

Will eyelashes grow after being cut?

Yes, your eyelashes will grow back eventually. As you did not damage the actual follicle the lashes will grow back but will take some time. 

Eyelash regrowth

They absolutely will regrow - but part of the reason that they look so different is that the natural tapering portion is gone and the cut end may be more naturally stiffer, straighter. and thicker. This will make the ones that you accidentally trimmed like hedges stick out - rather than curve and stay in line with the rest of the lashes. Fear not - as they cycle though, fall out, and re-grow naturally, it will be like it never happened.

Do eyelashes grow back

It can take up to 16 weeks for a cycle of eyelash growth. So one month simply isn't enough time to have the lashes fully recover from cutting them. Yes, they will regrow because you didn't damage the follicle, but it simply takes time.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Cut Lashes Growing Back

If lashes do not return in few more weeks, it is unlikely to do so on its own. Understand if parents do not want to use medication, can consider peptide based lash conditioners that are not medications.

Usually 2-4 Months for Full Cycle

Your eyelashes will grow back — usually in 2-4 months for the full cycle to make things normal again. For me I see no reason you need to use Latisse for this. We know it makes lashes grow longer, but it seems hard to me to justify this expense when we know things will be okay soon.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Your eyelashes will grow back.

Your eyelashes will grow back. You will have to wait a full eyelash growth cycle which is different for everyone but somewhere between 3 - 16 weeks.
Latisse is not necessary for this to take place.

Martin Jugenburg, MD