Does miraDry Hurt?

I read an article where the guy who had Miradry done said it was quite uncomfortable. Is this normal?

Pain from miraDry treatment

Initially, you will feel a little stinging from the lidocaine injections. Once the area is numb, however, the treatment is fairly comfortable, although you may occasionally feel a warm area or “hot spot” during treatment.  However, these are quite uncommon.

Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Fairly Painless

After local numbing shots, the Miradry procedure is fairly painless. My patients find it easy to tolerate.

MiraDry comfort level during and after procedure

We typically first apply icepacks prior to injecting local anesthesia (lidocaine). Thus one typically experiences tiny pinches as similar to skin biopsies. Subsequent electromagnetic wave delivery may lead to warm sensation. On seldom occasions, one may experience rare moments of deep achy sensation. Postop expectation includes mild swelling and nonspecific achy-ness in the treated area that can last a week or two.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Treatment of axillary hyperhidrosis and underarm sweating with Miradry and Retrograde Suction Curettage

There are many options for axillary hyperhidrosis  including MiraDry, Botox injections, Yag laser, and Retrograde Suction Curettage.  Most of these treatments have long term success.  MiraDry is safe and effective, as well, I have found the Retrograde Suction Curretage to be extremely effective in resistant patients who need aggressive treatment of their axillary hyperhidrosis.  

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Not really done under local

without local anesthesia it stings but with local it is very tolerable. If you are super sensitive we can apply topical cream first then there is virtually no pain.  We also have capability to use sedation for those who are super sensitive about the local - your choice!

We offer MiraDry in Chicago and the North Shore of Chicago at New Horizons Center for Cosmetic Surgery and Dr Turowski

Does MiraDry Hurt?

MiraDry is a noninvasive electromagnetic treatment for treating excessive underarm sweating (axillary hyperhidrosis).

Most patients experience little pain during the procedure because it is performed under local anesthesia, which numbs the underarms. The numbing shots themselves cause small bee stings, which last only for a short period of time. Afterwards the local anesthesia has been given, the underarms will be numb. During the actual treatment, most patients experience some pressure and light pulling on the skin, with some sensations of warmth. There may be an occasional "hot spot" that lasts briefly but is usually well tolerated. After the treatment, there is some swelling and sensitivity of the underarms that may last several days.

Having said this, pain is a very subjective experience and varies from person to person.

I have personally treated almost 50 patients to date using the MiraDry system. Most patients have described the discomfort during the procedure as a score of 1, 2 or 3 (ie. mild discomfort) on a pain scale of 1-10 (with 10 being highest). A very small fraction of patients (<10%) called the procedure very uncomfortable. Although the treatment is very new, most patients have been very satisfied with the results of their treatments so far.

Hope this helps.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Is miraDry Painful?

Because you are given a local numbing prior to the treatment, most patients feel little to no pain. Some patients describe it as pressure in their underarm after numbing. You virtually will feel nothing during the heating portion, which kills the sweat glands.

David L. Robbins, MD, FACS
West Des Moines Plastic Surgeon

Pain and Recovery with MiraDry Treatment in Connecticut

MiraDry is performed after injecting the entire treatment area with lidocaine, so that there is absolutely no pain during the procedure.  It does however take a few needle injections in order to get the area numb for the treatment.  
After the treatment, the area can be swollen and mildly tender.  We advise patients to take Advil after the procedure for any discomfort they might have.  In addition, icing the area on and off for the first 24 hours after the procedure drastically reduces any discomfort, swelling, or bruising.  

Pain from Miradry

At our office, we use a different form of injection for the Lidocaine. That being said, we try and keep it to 5-8 injections per underarm. I have had the treatment done personally and the needle stick really does not hurt. It is so superficial under the skin. The Lidocaine does have a slight burning sensation for a few seconds but that is really the worst part. After the numbing part, you should not feel anything during the actual treatment. You will have some soreness in the area for the next week or so, but nothing that some Advil cannot help.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Procedure and afterwards don't hurt, like a sunburn at most

Although miraDry is getting a lot of attention recently, it has actually been around for a while. It has been extensively studied and there is no cancer association. The FDA has cleared it for safe use as well. The microwave energy only penetrates 4-5mm in depth and heats up and destroys the sweat and odor glands. The energy does not reach lymph nodes or deeper structures and it in non-ionizing radiation (the safe kind, like radiowaves). I have had the procedure done myself and it has truly been a gift. One and done for 80% of people! In the long term, much more cost-effective than Botox which has to be repeated every 3-6 months. Let us know if we can help in any way.
Botox can be a good alternative while miradry is being approved for use in those areas. Botox prevents the nerves from telling the sweat glands to produce sweat and odor. I went right back to work after doing miraDry.  Kind of felt like a sunburn for a day, but that's it.  Hope that helps!
And we are the busiest miraDry practice in California with great results. Let us know if you can help in any way.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD