Exercise Before Tummy Tuck ? Yes Or No ?

Exercise Before Tummy Tuck ? Sit ups / Crunches etc Yes Or No ? Is Surgery more Difficult to perform ? Thank You

Tummy Tuck - Exercise Before Tummy Tuck ? Yes Or No ?

How about maybe?

As a rule I advise my patients not to more than their normal routine as the surgery date approaches, and to avoid any significant exercise in the several days before the procedure.  You don't want to over do it, to strain a muscle or, even worse, to sustain an injury during this period.  And in the event that you do have an injury, you may need to reschedule your procedure.

So - as a rule - your normal routine is fine, back off on everything as your surgery date approaches and, for sure, no over-the-top new routines.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Exercise Before Surgery - Great Idea

Patients who exercise before any type of surgery (not the day of) rebound much faster after surgery.  I do not recommend exercising the area to be operatd upon within 2 days of the surgery to avoid additional soreness.

William H. Huffaker, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Exercise Before Tummy Tock?

Thank you for the question. There is absolutely nothing wrong with exercising to your hearts content before tummy  tuck  surgery. If anything it's helpful to be well conditioned and at a stable weight prior to embarking on a major operation.

You are about to undergo a major operation which often involves a significant physical and emotional recovery. A few words of advice may be helpful:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

Pre-Op Exercise

Thank you for your enquiry.  There is no reason why you may not exercise up to the close proximity of your surgery.  I would suggest that you do not do anything too strenuous for five to seven days pre-operatively.  The fitter you are for surgery in general the better will be your recovery.  Be sure not to overdo exercise in the immediate post-operative period and to wear an adequate support garment as instructed by your plastic surgeon.Good luck with your surgery.

Exercise Before Tummy Tuck ...

There is nothing wrong with exercising prior to a tummy tuck.  Losing as much weight possible before the procedure will help give you optimal results.  Often times the tummy tuck is being done because the abdominal muscles are weak, so exercising will not really help.  If you do choose to exercise, don't over do it right before the procedure so you will not feel any soreness.  Also be sure to discuss it with your surgeon to get his or her recommendations.  Good luck!

Exercise before abdominoplasty

Exercise is permissible prior to abdominoplasty (tummy-tuck surgery).  However, it is important that your weight is stable before the surgery. Do not attempt any major weight-loss regimen immediately prior to the procedure, as this may result in poor healing due to inadequate nutritional status.  Any weight reduction regime should be completed well before the surgery, so that weight is stable for the best possible outcome.

Pamela B. Rosen, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Is it okay to exercise before Tummy Tuck surgery?

This is a question that I am often asked when patients are preparing to undergo surgery.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with working out, running, or any other type of exercise in the days prior to surgical procedures.  I am happy for patients to continue a healthy diet and exercise plan up to the day before surgery when this is something that they have already been doing previously.

I would not BEGIN any type of restrictive diet or strenuous exercise plan in the days before your surgical procedure if this is not something that you have been doing previously.  Doing so may increase your blood pressure and therefore the strain on your heart which could be bad prior to a surgical procedure.  As always, when starting any new exercise or diet plan, consult with your doctor if you have any prior medical problems.  Hope this helps.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Exercise and abdominoplasty (tummy tuck)

Exercise is always a good idea. However, if you have excess skin and muscle laxity, then it is not likely to improve with exercise alone. However, exercise does not make the surgery any more difficult. Good Luck.

Donna Rich, MD

Exercise before tummy tuck

Any prep exercise which improves muscle tone and cardiac wellbeing is an excellent thing. The ability to motivate yourself to exercise suggests that you will similarly be a motivated participant in your own care and will be compliant with postop instructions and that is terrific. Best of luck with your planned surgery!

Exercise in Preparation for Surgery Beneficial as Part of Healthy Lifestyle

Hi there-

If you exercise routinely as part of your healthy lifestyle, then I say continue you routine until a few days before the procedure, at your usual pace and intensity. I would not want you working out extra hard because you are having surgery.

Similarly, if you are not a person who normally exercises regularly, I do not think it benefits you to start an exercise program in the weeks leading up to your surgery if you are doing so because you think it will improve your outcome or recovery- it probably will not.

On the other hand, if your surgery is months away, and you would like to achieve a better state of health, and you are beginning an exercise program as part of a healthier lifestyle that you think you will be able to maintain over the long term after your recovery period, then doing so is a smart thing.

I hope that helps you!