When Can You Exercise After Getting Dysport?

I've heard 12 hours. I have also heard just to not turn upside down...no headstands as with yoga or gymnastics.

We tell patients they can exercise within 2 hours after Dysport injections.

We tell patients they can exercise within 2 hours after Dysport injections.  We do tell them that it is helpful for the next 2-3 hours not to do any exercise which involves putting your head below the rest of your body.  If the neurotoxin is concentrated, it gets absorbed by the body very quickly and should not diffuse from its point of injection after an hour.  However, if a lot of water was used with the concentration, there is more chance it will diffuse and so you should wait longer.  But in general, 2 hours is what I advise my patients.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Can you Exercise after Dysport

Hi Vixstew.  Our recommendation is to not exercise for at least 4 hours after the injections.  This is simply a precaution to prevent Dysport (or Botox) from migrating, which could cause unintended side effects.

Because there is not one right answer to this question, it is usually based on whatever period your injector is comfortable with based on his or her experience.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Exercise after Dysport or Botox

I have my patients avoid heavy lifting, exercise, or bending down for 4 hours after Dysport or Botox. For strenuous exercise, you can start the following day. I also advise against laying on the treated area, or having a face-down massage the day of treatment. Hope this helps.

Jennifer Reichel, MD
Seattle Dermatologist

Exercise after Dysport

My patients go back to their regular routine the following day. The only time frame I issue regarding outside activities is no facials for the first few days where you may experience massaging of the face and injection sites. You want the Dysport to stay in the area in which is was injected.

Michael Elam, MD

Don't worry

There are no studies saying what can and cannot be done after Botox or Dysport injections.  None of the recommendations are based on any science.  There really are no restrictions for normal activity after injections.  So, don't get worried, and just go along with your normal activity.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Dysport and Exercise after the injection

I typically tell my patients not to lie down for four hours after the injection. In terms of exercise, I ask patients to go back to their work out schedule the next day. By doing so, I try to prevent excessive manipulation of the area of the injection in the first 12 to 24 hours, as could happen when wiping off sweat, lying on a weight lifting bench, etc.

Leyda Elizabeth Bowes, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

How Soon to Exercise After Dysport

Within 20 to 90 minutes after it is injected, botulinum neurotoxin type A (Botox or Dysport) can be detected inside the motor nerve endings. Therefore the muscles and nerve endings take up the Botox or Dysport very quickly before they can spread far from the injection site. After that time there are no restrictions to your activities, including exercise, yoga, and standing on your head, etc. 

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Exercise after Botox

Most doctors recommend waiting to exercise for  four hours after injection, the theory is that we want the botox to remain where we put it and if you exercise and increase the blood flow and pressure to the area it could move where we dont want it. However this is theoretical and there are no studies proving one way or the other.

Robyn D. Siperstein, MD
Boynton Beach Dermatologist

We recommend 24 hours.

There is no exact study that looked at this question.  It is simply based on clinical experience so there is plenty of room for opinion.  I recommend that you follow the recommendations of your injecting physician.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox/Dysport and Exercise

Most injectors will recommend that you wait to exercise for several hours.  There are two reasons for this.  The first has to do with blood pressure.  If the injector hit a vessel, there would be a tiny hole in that vessel and a large increase in your blood pressure could worsen any kind of bruising within a short period of time after the treatment.  The second reason has to do with product migration.  The theory is that the botox could migrate to the wrong area and weaken the wrong muscles causing an undesired outcome.  This is theoretical however, and there are no scientific studies to demonstrate this or disprove this.  Most of us are just overly cautious. 

Tracy B. Evans, MD, FAAD
San Francisco Dermatologic Surgeon