Can You Exercise After Botox or Will It Decrease the Results?

Can You Exercise After Botox  or Will It Decrease the Results

Best NOT to exercise right after Botox or Dysport treatments

There are two reasons not to exercise right after Botox or Dysport treatments. I allow my patients to exercise the morning of treatment before they come in (ideally not RIGHT before coming in), but not later the same day. They are allowed to resume exercise, for the most part except in special cases, the following day. Exercise increases circulation in the body, including the face, which is why your face flushes and gets red when you work out. This increased circulation is great for your skin, but it does increase the risk that the Botox will be taken away from the injection zone before it gets fully absorbed into the neuromuscular junction. We don't like this for two reasons: 1) it may leave less Botox where we want it, and possibly decrease the effect, and 2) we do not want to do anything that increases the risk that the Botox will act anywhere other than where it is intended.

For this reason, I am strict about no exercise after treatment. I do make patients cancel their personal training sessions and Soul Cycle classes, even if they can't get a refund. Be warned!

Exercising after Botox

Great question! I always recommend to my patients not working out for at least 24 hours after being injected. Working out beforehand is absolutely fine! I also advise not laying down for at least 4 hours after botox.

Dennis Gross, MD

Botox & Exercise - Dos & Donts

It's not unusual for patients with transverse forehead wrinkles, vertical frown lines , and crow’s feet to undergo treatment with botox. Unfortunately, botox can occasionally migrate to the surrounding structures. This can occur for a variety of reasons including alterations in the hemodynamic status of the patient.

Strenuous exercise increases cardiac output and systemic blood flow. In theory, this has the potential to increase blood flow to the injection site and remove botox from this location. This ultimately diminishes the response to botox and increases the potential for migration of botox and secondary complications.

Although no scientific studies are currently available to address this issue, conventional wisdom suggests that strenuous activity should not be undertaken for at least 24 hours following botox treatment.

If you have questions regarding this issue, you should consult your physician. Although the post injection management of botox varies from provider to provider, you should definitely understand your provider’s post injection protocol.

Of course you can exercise after a Botox treatment in a few hours.  It is a needle based therapy so use common sense.  Exercise will not affect the results as the Botox is absorbed by the tissues within minutes.

Botox and Exercise

It depends on the type of exercise. I recommend that you wait 2 hours before one lies down (ie bench pressing weights) or does any type of inversions (yoga) after receiving Botox to work out. Exercising after Botox has not been shown to decrease the results.  

Melda A. Isaac, MD
Washington DC Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox injections and exercise.... relax for a few days!

The side effects of botox injections, usually lasting anywhere between 24 and 48 hours, can definitely exacerbate with any aerobic exercise usually causing the patient to sweat. Try to keep yourself relaxed and don't push yourself too hard, patients usually complain of increasing headaches when they exercise right after botox injections.

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS, FACS

Exercising and Botox

During the consultation with your injector, which should be a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon or someone working with them, we like to tell patients that following injections with Botox that you should avoid strenuous activity for 24 hours and that you should not lie down for several hours after injection. We also do not want patients massaging the areas that were injected — all because we don't want the medicine to spread beyond where we inject it.

The reality here is that when the clinical trials were done many years ago, these were the instructions that were given, some because of common sense, and some because of theoretical concerns. And when these medicines were FDA cleared, their labels had these in them so we all just continued telling our patients this is what we need to do. Most of us feel that it is okay to do light exercise or go about your day without much concerns following injections with Botox, Dysport, or Xeomin. There is no clinical studies that have been done to determine that anything mentioned will hinder the treatment process.

So be smart, take it easy after your injections, and enjoy the results.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Exercise after Botox treatments

As other panel members suggested, we recommend that our post-Botox patients avoid exercise and lying flat for four hours following their treatment.  We believe this is not an unreasonable recommendation if it may benefit your outcome and protect your financial investment.  The manufacturer has made this a recommendation as well and whether or not there are "studies" to confirm this does not detract from the possible benefits of adhering to this.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Exercise 4 hours after Botox is not detrimental

The standard advice, although there is no clinical study to investigate this to-date, is not to exercise for four hours after Botox.  In addition we suggest not to bend over or lie flat for this time as well. These recommendations are to minimize the theoretical risk of allowign the Botox to diffuse to other areas.  Once the Botox binds to the neuromuscular junctions, there is no reason that exercise would interfere with its good effect. If however, you have any unusual reaction, severe swelling or bruising after Botox, which is extremely rare, then you should avoid exercise until after the reaction subsides and discuss this with your doctor.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Exercise and Botox

There is no evidence that the effects of injectable neurotoxins such as Botox and Dysport are diminished if you exercise after being treated. That being said, I ask my patients to wait at least four hours until after the injections to exercise, mostly with the goal of reducing any possibility of migration of the material.  In that four hour period I also recommend that my patients avoid napping and keep their head above their waist, for the same reason.