Botox and trying to get pregnant - how long to wait?

I had my botox injection yesterday and did not think to ask about whether it would have an impact on any pregnancy. I am a 37 year old woman and I'd like to get pregnant or get my eggs frozen basically as soon as possible because I'm freaking out a bit because of my age. I'm feeling regret at my vain decision to get botox. How long would you recommend wait before trying to get pregnant or undergoing the egg freezing procedure? My injector said 3 months.

Botox in Conception and In-Vitro Fertilization

Thank you for your question.  As a board certified obstetrician and gynecologist who has been injecting Botox for over a decade, I never administer Botox to a woman who is pregnant or attempting pregnancy.  The reason being is that no clinical studies or trials have been conducted to prove the efficacy or safety of the neuromodulator (Botox, Xeomin or Dysport) to the unborn child.  With that in mind, the safety of your child is far more important than any wrinkle.  My advice would be to calm down and enjoy the results of your Botox for the next three to four months.  While waiting, begin your consultations with the reproductive endocrinologists in your area to plan for the infertility treatments that may be needed in the near future.  Best of luck to you!

Sincerely,
Dr. John Serrao   

Botox and trying to get pregnant

Hi katesilver,

I do not think that there is any risk to the baby if you get pregnant or get your frozen eggs after your Botox injections. The Botox is at the neuro-muscular junction receptor and is not going to move from there, so there is no real risk at this time in my opinion.

Hope this helps,
Dr. Gus Diaz

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wait

I would wait until the botox is worn off before doing any of these things. Why take a chance and botox is completely elective.

Chris Thiagarajah, MD
Denver Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox

I appreciate your question.
I would recommend waiting until your botox wears off (3-4 months) before trying to get pregnant or freezing your eggs.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

BOTOX AND PREGNANCY

There is absolutely no reason to wait. The injected botox is immediately bound by receptors and is not free and circulating in your blood, so there is no reason to believe the botox (very small dose) would have absolutely ANY affect or negative impact on your ovulation or fertilization. Absolutely no effect.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and trying to get pregnant

No one will ever do a study on this but it is hard to imagine there is any medical reason to be concerned. The safe answer is to wait, however if you got pregnant accidentally I would not worr

Shelley Halper, MD
Hinsdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and pregnancy

Essentially there is probably no effect on your eggs.  Although there is never 100% certainty of this, with all of the years of botox injections I have yet to see a problem concerning this.  If you have the ability to wait the 90 days, then do so.  If you happen to get pregnant prior to that, I wouldn't worry about it.  Good luck!

T.G. Khan, DO, FACS
Fort Lee Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox and Pregnancy

I would recommend waiting until the Botox wears off before contemplating egg freezing or pregnancy.  In general 3 to 6 months to be absolutely safe.