I was told not to use ibuprofen after cool sculpting as it stops the inflammatory process. Is this right?

Taking anti-inflammatory medication after CoolSculpting

There have not been any studies that specifically address this question, but it is unlikely that ibuprofen or other NSAIDs will affect your results clinically. During the CoolSculpting procedure, fat cells are killed in a controlled setting by the cold, and the body elicits an inflammatory reaction in the subsequent weeks to eliminate the dead cells. While it is theoretically possible that anti-inflammatory medications can slow the elimination process, the final results should not be affected because the targeted fat cells are killed during the actual procedure.

Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Motrin or NASAIDS after CoolSculpting

There have not been any specific studies or any data on this so they answer is we do not actually know.  My belief and understanding on how this technology works however is that it should have no affect on the fat cells that are killed or lysed during the procedure.  The fat cell is more sensitive to freezing than other tissues and the cell membrane that holds the fat is destroyed...the inflammation is cause by our bodies going in to clean up the cellular debris left after treatment.  So I do not believe it will change the final outcome after treatment.  Postoperative massage appears to be helpful as well.

All my Best!

Dr Bengtson

Bradley Bengtson, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting and pain

I appreciate your question.
I had Coolsculpting and took prophylactic aleve.
I didn't feel i even needed it though looking back
I am not aware of any reason not to use it except maybe some extra bruising if taken for long periods before

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Ibuprofen and inflammatory process

I just attended Coolsculpting University in Reston, Va.  The information given to us by the Zeltiq professionals recommends you try and stay away from ibuprofen due to the fact they want the inflammatory process to occur to break down the fat cells.  If you are having any discomfort I recommend using a small compression garment such as spanx or contacting the technician who preformed the Coolsculpting to see if they could prescribe a neuropathic pain medication.   

No-post protocol

I have not heard that you can't take ibuprofen.  I don't think that has been studied.  I let my patients do whatever they want after CS and have great results.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Ibuprofen After Coolsculpting

I do not feel ibuprofen will have any significant effect on your outcome if you use it after coolsculpting.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Inflammation and CoolSculpting

Theoretically, you want the inflammatory process to continue as long as possible and you don't want to inhibit the process. Part of how the treatment works is through the inflammatory process itself. Any non-steroidal and steroidal type medication  will decrease inflammation. That said, the time period that is most important to promote that inflammatory response is immediately after the procedure during the 2 minute massage. If you are experiencing discomfort, try other modalities such as applying compression garments such as Spanx. If you are a few days out, a few doses of an NSAID will not likely have any affect. And of course, if you have concerns, you should contact your provider. Make sure your CoolSculpting practice is certified. 

Arianna Sholes-Douglas, MD
Tucson OB/GYN

CoolSculpting causes permanent fat loss

The premise is that anything that limits inflammation will potentially alter the results.  The most studied concept is massage of the treatment area once the applicator has been removed.  The short answer is that when you see someone for CoolSculpting check their credentials prior to the appointment.  This technology definitely does work.  If you are already a thin person then it is highly unlikely you are a CoolSculpting candidate.  Please don't be taken advantage of at a SPA or some office without the proper providers.  Seek out a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has CoolSculpting technology as well as the experience to help guide you if this is not the right option for you.

Body reshaping can be performed with a cannula that removes fat via liposuction or with noninvasive technology like Cool Sculpting. With Cool Sculpting there is no cannula inserted into your body. All treatments are performed on the surface from the outside in using technology that freezes the fat.

Ibuprofen and Coolsuclpting

Ibuprofen is entirely safe for coolsculpting and should not interfere with the process.  If you take Ibuprofen before the procedure you may have more bruising with the pressure of the applicator.