Why am I so emotional after 1 week post op Breast Augmentation?

So day 7. .one week since my breast mammoplasty. I love them.im happy all went well.yet I keep bursting into uncontrolled floods of tears..?? Is this normal. ??

Emotional

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Surgery is stress and any stress can be emotional experience.  Also, you may be reacting to pain medication.  You might speak with your doctor and see if he/she could prescribe a different medication.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Emotional post op

The first weeks can be really difficult– physically and especially emotionally after any cosmetic surgery and breast augmentation is no exception Assuming your surgery went well this may be a normal reaction. Although several factors may be involved causing this including underlying stress, medications, psychological tendencies, etc - many women experience a sequence of emotional feelings "Emotional Rollercoaster" following aesthetic surgery - but it does pass. Having a partner, family member , or friend who is supportive can help this process.The stages of emotional ups and downs if understood in advance can help you stay calm and get you through this process more quickly.
Phase 1 – Being Out of It
Swelling and discomfort is most severe over the first few days after breast augmentation. Pain medications also can make you disoriented and emotional.
Phase 2 – Mood Swings
Having just had breast augmentation you are adjusting to a sudden change in your appearance with much anticipation.. The presence of bruising, swelling, and edema, your breasts aren't going to be look like the final outcome. Mood swings especially sadness, worry and depression are common.You may even ask: "What have I done?" or think that "I never should have done it"
Phase 3 Being over critical
During the second week you will probably be feeling a lot better. The edema (swelling) and muscle cramping/spasms if implants were under the muscle will be decreasing and stiches out.. Because of anticipation it is natural for you to look critiacally at your new breasts worrying about symmetry, scars, and so on. . So; it's normal to wonder if you acheived your goal and "what you paid for" . This is too soon to tell and most concerns are resolved with time.
Phase 4 Happy at last
Finally, about week 3 or so, you will probably start liking how you look and are feeling much better.. You may be in the mood to buy your new bra to check out the size difference, check out some bathing suits or tops to show off your new figure and show off.
Larry Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Emotional response to surgery

The way you are feeling is common after surgery.  First there are physiologic reasons that occur with the stress of surgery.  Second, it may be from the medications.  Third, it may be from the release of finally having a surgery you have been wanting.  The best thing is that you are happy with the results.

This is not uncommon after general anesthetic surgery  - It is likely due to the pain medications. It generally subsides after 1-2 weeks. If not, than you should speak with your plastic surgeon or primary health care provider. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Happy but emotional a week after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question about your breast augmentation.

Yes - this kind of reaction is unusual but not abnormal.
Possible causes -
  • relief that you made the right choice, got through surgery and like the result,
  • effects of medicines you are taking after surgery
  • effects of medicines given during surgery
  • effects of the stress hormones released during surgery
  • a hidden, emotional connection between your successful surgery and a past emotional experience.
People who do have this kind of reaction generally find it subsides by the end of week two.
If not, you may  need one or two counseling sessions to get your emotions back to normal.
In the meantime - enjoy your lovely result!

Be sure to consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope this helps. Have a great day.

Emotional lability

This is not uncommon after aesthetic surgery. Speaking with your surgeon is the best start off point, and if that is not helpful, try your primary doc. 

Usually this passes without requiring an intervention, but your surgeon should be there for you when needed. Best wishes.

Emotional after surgery

Thank you for your question.  This can be a side effect from pain medication that you may be taking.  The surgery itself can be very stressful both phycially and emotionally and it just coming out now after the surgery.  I am happy to hear all went well with your surgery and you are happy with the outcome.  

If you would like additional information regarding breast augmentation, you can download a free copy of my Breast Augmentation Planner at ABetterBreast.com

Best of luck to you.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon