Is it possible after a Breast augmentation for your rib to stick out more?

Hi there, I've had a breast auebtation 4 months ago and noticed that my right rib is protruding a little more than my left? Any thoughts would be much appreciated! There is no pain associated whatsoever!

Right rib protruding more than the left

Thank you so much for your question about your breast augmentation.

Strange as it is, you probably always had the right rib protrude more - but only noticed it after surgery.
This is very common.
Ask to look at your pre-op photos - if the ribs show clearly, you will almost certainly see the asymmetry then too.

Be sure to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Here’s hoping you find this helpful. Have a great day!

Lower ribcage asymmetry first noticed after breast augmentation

Aerosinodos ,

Although you clearly have a rib end that is protruding along the lower ribcage, this is more likely something that you noticed now because you are paying more attention to your chest than before.  I notice these types of asymmetries frequently in pre-op patients, and when I point them out, the patients have almost never noticed them before.  A careful review of photos taken of you in the past couple of years, especially in clothing or bathing suit that shows this area will probably reveal that it has been present all along.  There just is on way that augmentation would impact the lower ribs like this.  I hope that this helps.    

Tom DeWire, MD, FACS    

Richmond, VA    

Thomas M. DeWire Sr., MD (retired)
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Implants don't affect your ribs

but with the augmentation now done, the pulled skin could make the rib more noticeable to you.  As others have mentioned, if you look closely at your pre-op photos, your rib was likely more prominent then as well.  If this is truly something different, ask your surgeon or primary care physician about it.

Curtis Wong, MD

Ribcage protruding after breast augmentation

Thanks for your question.  There is really no clinical reason why your rib would protrude further after breast augmentation.  Its may be that you are simply looking at your chest more and you have noticed that one side sticks out a little further than the other which is very common.  Review your pre operative photographs and you probably won't notice any change.

It is not common for a rib to protrude more after a surgery.

Thank you for your question. It is not common for a rib to protrude more after a surgery. Chances are this was always the case and you notice it more now. You could look at before and after photos to assess.

Martin Jugenburg, MD