Will fat above my belly button be removed during a Tummy Tuck and how?

I am scheduled for tummy tuck on July and i have layers of fat on top of my belly button, i was wondering if those will remove too or it is gonna stay there? And how those area fat gonna be removed?

The upper and lower abdomen should both show better contours after a tummy tuck.

During a tummy tuck, your surgeon will tighten your abdominal muscles and stitch them in place, and then remove excess fat and skin before suturing your incision for firmer, smoother contours through both the upper and lower abdomen. Some surgeons also incorporate liposuction at the same time as a tummy tuck for fine-tuning and removing isolated fatty deposits that aren’t quite resolved with the primary surgery. Before your appointment, you should discuss your concerns with your surgeon to ensure that you’re both on the same page as far as your cosmetic goals. Bringing in some example photos can be a great way to help with this.

Belly Button Fat Removed During a Tummy Tuck

Congratulations on your upcoming procedure! If it is a full abdominoplasty you are scheduled for, it will do much to improve the contour of your upper abdomen. Different surgeons have different approaches. I usually pull the underlying muscle closer together and the remaining skin and soft tissues are brought down to the lower abdomen. Have a conversation with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon so you will fully understand the procedure you are having. If you know what to expect, you'll be happier with the result. Best wishes.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Tummy Tuck with Upper Fat Removal

Hello and great question.  Excess fat from the upper abdominal wall can be removed during a tummy tuck but that may vary with the doctor's comfort level.  I routinely perform liposuction to the upper area during a complete tummy tuck.  Some do not because of concerns with healing of the lower abdominal wall skin.  Be sure to ask your doctor before the procedure.

Robert J. Spies, MD
Paradise Valley Plastic Surgeon

Will fat above the belly button be removed during a tummy tuck?

If you are having a full tummy tuck, excess skin above the belly button will be removed. A tummy tuck combined with liposuction may be the best option if you wish to remove fat as well. You should consult with your plastic surgeon about this concern before going through with the sugery. 

Orlando Llorente, MD

There are many factors in determining the final result including the level of undermining, the degree of tension, liposuction, etc.  Your surgeon will be the one to ask.

Above the belly button fat

Fat above the belly button is addressed first by spreading out the tissue - like flipping the sheets on a bed.  For a full abdominoplasty (incision around the belly button, I like to cut out extra fat directly at what is called the Scarpa's fascia level.  For a mini abdominoplasty (no incision around the belly button), I like to do it with liposuction.

Mark D. Wigod, MD
Boise Plastic Surgeon