How Long Do Double Eyelid Surgery Results Last?

How long can double eyelid surgery done by non-incision method (stitching method) last?

Long lasting non-incision Asian eyelid surgery

The non-incision or suture technique of Asian eyelid surgery can be life-long but there are a couple of things to know.

1.  If the sutures are placed with absolutely no deep (but narrow) cutting then those tend to pull out since there is little to no scar tissue formed to aid the sutures.

2.  If you wear contacts and place them by pulling up your upper eyelid everyday you can loosen the sutures hold over time.

3.  As Dr. Kim said, the aging process will continue and you can have loose skin, fat, etc. contribute to the loss or hooding of your new eyelid creases, but that would likely be years from now.

4.  If you have very thick upper lids with a lot of fat I feel like the suture technique this case is less than great, but the patients tend to be happy anyhow.

Dr. Chase Lay

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

It depends on technique and expertise

This is a very good question as it means you probably already know the 2 main types of surgery for the "double eyelid" procedure.   Regardless of technique, we would want the procedure to last your lifetime, but this does not always hold true as we cannot stop the aging process or external events outside our control.

The incisional method is still the "gold standard" as it allows the surgeon to have full control and access to the anatomy (levator, tarsus, orbicularis, etc) to precisely place sutures.  It allows the surgeon to address any ptosis and any needed skin and/or fat excision.  It is the most "permanent" way to create the fold.

The non-incision/minimal incision method does not allow the surgeon to have access in the same way.  The procedure is designed to "trade" the scar and exposure for slghtly faster recovery and minimal scar.   In certain individuals, this procedure is adequate; but in others, skin, fat, levator, etc need to be addressed and the non incision method may not even be the right option for you.

It is important to see a plastic surgeon with significant expertise in Asian eyelid surgery before you embark on this face-altering path.

Charles K. Lee, MD, FACS

Double Eyelid Surgery Duration

Double eyelid surgery for Asian patients typically last several years with the incision technique, if not permanent. Even though it may be less invasive, the non-incision or suture method is not commonly utilized in the United States, since the results are typically shorter lasting. Speak to an eyelid plastic surgeon to help determine the appropriate option for you.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

How long does a double eyelid surgery last?

Dear Piper1,

Results from double eyelid surgery can last a lifetime.  However, as people age, the fold can be covered up by overhanging skin.  This can be corrected with skin removal or sometimes a browlift may be necessary.

Aloha,

Shim Ching, MD

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Duration for non-incision method

Hello, Thank you for your questions.
In case of double eyelid surgery with non-incision method, its duration is individually different according to his or her own skin type and eye struture. The advantage of non-incision method is that it does not leave any scar around the surgical site. If you have quite thinner skin texture than normal range, then non-incision method would be suitable for you. However, if you have thick and excessive skin around you upper eyelid, then they should be removed to create defined double eyelid fold with partial incision method or full incision method. In my opinion, the surgery procedure should be determined by your exact diagnosis after having a face to face consultation with your surgeon.

Thank You

Jin-Sung Kim, MD
South Korea Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid Surgical Results will last a long time

Surgery is always the longest lasting method to correct eye issues. Typically, blepharoplasty results should last up to 20 years. It's good to remember that aging never stops which is why the results are not permanent, but certainly, they are long lasting and this type of surgery is really effective to get a great result.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Non-incision Asian eyelid surgery can last a long time.

In general, non-incision Asian eyelid surgery has a higher risk of losing the crease definition compared to other techniques. However, when this technique is well executed on patients with low risk of this complication, the results can and should last for a long time.

Eric In Choe, MD

Double Eyelid Surgery Results

The results from a non-incision double eyelid procedure can last several to many years. However, the results from an incision double eyelid surgery last considerably longer, if not permanently. Even though the non-incision technique is much less invasive, the incision method is still better at creating more of an eyelid due to the procedure actually taking more of the excess skin away, whereas the non-incision method does not do that. At my practice we see more patients wanting the incision method due to the longevity of the results and having a higher crease.

"Dr.D"

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

How long does the stitch method last

There are several types of suture techniques. The longest-lasting techniques involve interlocking the sutures to the firm cartilage structures of the eyelid. A published study of this technique (DST) shows a 98% success rate at 7 years. This study was from Japan, and in my experience japanese eyelid anatomy seems particularly optimal for the DST (thin skin, minimal fat, symmetric eyes). For eyelids with thicker skin or fat, the suture method does not seem to last as long - more in the range of 4-5 years. Although the crease does not fail, it does fade out. Finally, patients in the younger 20's without ptosis do best. Older patients or those with preoperatively asymmetry are not candidates.

Charles S. Lee, MD

How long does the Asian Blepharoplasty last?

This is a very tricky question because there are several variables that go into the longevity of an Asian Blepharoplasty (Double Eyelid Surgery). For the most part, Incisional techiques are thought to be more permanent due to the fact that if done properly, you are exactly creating the attachments from the levator muscle to the eyelid skin by the way of sutures and its subsequent scarring. In the instance of the suture/folding technique, you are relying on more of the integrity of the suture to maintain the attachment and often the suture can loosen or break or get extruded out by the body over time. Now I have many patients in my practice who have had the suture technique done over 15 years ago and they look great! But on rare occasion, I have had some patients with sutures issues (breaking, loosening, being pushed out through the skin by the body) which need to be corrected with a revisional surgery to maintain the symmetry. I hope that helps.

George Min, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon