Permanent Tattoo Removal

I had the symbol for "mother" tattooed (far right) and wanted "daughter" and "love" added to it. The symbol for "daughter" is on the left. I want to have this fixed, and the only alternative I see is to have it lasered off. Will laser tattoo removal erase it completely? Will it leave any scarring? I've been sick to my stomach since this was done. Please help me.

Laser Tattoo Removal

Yes you can do tattoo removal we have the Medlite some colors are more difficult than others. Laser Tattoo Removal you can use for better results

The Answer for Permanent Tattoo Removal

Black ink is typically the easiest ink to remove by laser, as long as all of the ink is within the skin, and not below.  We've seen cases where the artist has placed ink so deeply that it goes below all layers of the skin to the underlying tissues.  Our office has had great results with the PicoSure.

Black tattoo is easier to remove

Tattoo removal is easier depending on the color of the tattoo! If you have a tattoo color of yellow or green-blue, it can be faded but less likely to be removed! But if you have a tattoo that is black in color you can sometimes remove it completely depending on the depth of the ink. Sometimes, the laser can't absorb deep enough to remove the tattoo that it will leave a bruise like area that can be covered with makeup.

William J. Hedden, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Can Lasers Remove a Tattoo Completely

No single laser, at least at this moment removes the full spectrum of color. Therefore, we use the PicoWave laser which is most effective and fastest for most colors. We also add the Q switched laser for some blue and green colors (no additional charge to clients) to remove the full spectrum of colors. There are many reasons people elect to remove tattoos. In many cases it could be to update or make a change to an existing tattoo. We work with many skilled tattoo artists when the goal is to provide a new "canvas" so the tattoo artist can provide a new tattoo. Sometimes people are happy with a tattoo that is simply faded. Other times, people would like there to be little to no evidence that a tattoo ever existed. This is why it is important to find a medical center offering later tattoo removal in individual treatments vs. offering treatments in packages. Look at before and after photos performed in the center you are considering, not just stock photos from a laser company as a way to provide evidence of efficacy.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

The tattoo is black and fairly simple, so it should be able to be removed completely.

The tattoo is black and fairly simple, so it should be able to be removed completely. Black is one of the easiest colors to treat with a laser. It should not leave any scarring as long as you have your tattoo removal done with an expert, board-certified dermatologist. I recommend going in for an in-person consultation to come up with a custom treatment plan. I imagine the reason you want the tattoo fixed is because the symbol is upside down, but I feel I should tell you that that’s not actually the symbol for “daughter,” in case you want to have it re-tattooed. The symbol for daughter looks like this: 娘.

R20 with picosure

The number of sessions vary although tattoos with the newer picosure can be as few as 4 sessions 8 weeks apart. R20 is two sessions done 20 minutes apart -a variation is to use a chemical which allows two treatments without waiting the 20 minutes . This is effective for resistant tattoos. Scarring does not occur if an adequate period between sessions occurrs

Morris Westfried, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser tattoo removal for black inks is very successful - Buffalo Niagara NY

Thank you for providing a picture.

Clearly, a black ink tattoo has been used and these types of colors are the 'easiest' colors to fragment with laser energy. Lighter colors like the yellows and the fluorescent colors are most difficult requiring special devices and more sessions of therapy. 

We use the Alex TriVantage Laser in our Williasville laser office.

Laser tattoo removal

Laser tattoo removal is an excellent modality for you to remove the existing tattoo and have it repaired or adjusted in the future. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Good tattoo for R20 method

This is a good tattoo for the R20 method - rapid removal which is 4 times faster than traditional laser tattoo removal.  See the link below for more informastion 

Sam Naficy, MD

Permanent Tattoo Removal is possible

Black ink is the easiest kind of tattoo ink to treat and can generally be broken down with the least number of treatments. If you choose an experienced and reputable treatment provider, your risk of complications (such as scarring) will be very low. This is a very important consideration when choosing where to go fro laser tattoo removal. Another important consideration would be the type of laser used. Currently, the ND Yag 1064 is the gold standard on the market and should be the top choice for effective, safe tattoo removal.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon