Type of Doctor I Should Go to for Diastasis Rectus Repair?

My stomach muscles split after 5 births. I need to have it repaired, but I am not sure what type of doctor to see first. Should I see my primary care doctor, my ob/gyn, or a specialist?

Doctor Answers 7

Physician for diastasis repair

Most diastasis repairs in my area are performed by plastic surgeons because patients want not only the repair but also removal of excess abdominal skin and muscle tightening. This constitutes an abdominoplasty. In the past few years, insurers have stopped paying for diastasis repair unless a true hernia can be appreciated on an MRI, so the operation is considered cosmetic and is not a covered service.

New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 42 reviews

Diastasis repair with tummy tuck


This varies depending on geographic area but in this region, most diastasis repairs are carried out by plastic surgeons. Discuss this with your primary care physician and ask for a referral to a respected surgeon in your area.

Otto Joseph Placik, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 82 reviews

Diastasis repair as part of a tummy tuck or with the endoscope

A board certified plasic surgeon would be the right specialist to see for your diastasis recti. This is mostly done as part of a tummy tuck. If not skin excess is present and only the diastasis, an endoscopic procedure could be performed to suture the muscle fascia with a small incision in th pubic area. Best of luck!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

Diastasis recti.


1)  Go see a board certified plastic surgeon.  He or she will confirm your diastasis.

2)  An experienced plastic surgeon is the person to correct your diastasis recti (as part of a tummy tuck).

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)
Manhattan Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 9 reviews

Type of doctor for diastasis rectus repair

Depends on what you want to have done.

If you want to get the muscles together. period. A general surgeon would do.

If you want to bring the muscles together, remove loose skin, flatten the tummy and narrow the waist, lift the mons pubis and possibly smooth any anterior thigh cellulite -you should see a Board certified Plastic surgeon and have a full or high-lateral tension abdominoplasty.

Good Luck.

Peter A. Aldea, MD
Memphis Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 109 reviews

A Plastic Surgeon Can Repair Diastasis Recti

Repair of separated muscles after childbirth is a routine part of tummy tuck procedures.  If you have a true hernia, a plastic surgeon trained in general surgery, or a team approach may be needed.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS
Houston Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 271 reviews

Doctor to repair diastasis

Plastic surgeons traditionally repair the diastasis when performing a tummy tuck. I recommend that you seek consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon for an examination and review of your surgical options.

Michael Diaz, MD
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 21 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.