Disappointed with results 14 weeks post op Tummy Tuck and Liposuction to flanks. Is it swelling? (photos)

I'm 14 weeks post op tummy tuck and lipo to flanks. I feel that my flanks/love handles needed a bit more liposuction as I get a muffin top on the sides even in loose clothing. I'm so unhappy about it. Could it still be swelling. What could be done?

Swelling 14 weeks after tummy tuck surgery

Thanks very much for your photograph. It is difficult to say at this stage whether any swelling remains but normally we would expect most of the swelling to have settled down by 3 months following surgery.

If you are concerned about the area I would recommend that you go back to see your surgeon to discuss the options and what could be done to improve the swelling in the region. I hope this is helpful and that the area settles down to your satisfaction.

Need touch up...

Thank you for your question and posting your pics. Based on the information you have provided, it seems that you have some residual lipodystrophy present. It would be best if you contacted your plastic surgeon and discuss your options including touch up or revision liposuction. Best of luck.

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Unresolved love handles after TT with Lipo after 14 wks?.

Many thanks for the question.Its a outcome so frequently seen if the extra skin is not adjusted at the end of surgery by forwarding it towards the midline where sometimes you end up with extra skin that need to be adjusted during stitching.
I have recently found that that the Z lipo ( ultrasonic Liposuction less aggressive) is very effective method to deal with rather difficult area that hardly yields to normal methods known to most Plastic surgeons.
In any case further lipo, some 12 months later can fix the problem.
I wish you all the best

Liposuction is needed

Thank you for your pictures. It is unlikely that this is still swelling three months after your surgery. This is some residual fat that needs to have a bit more contouring with liposuction. Revisit with your plastic surgeon as to his or her plan for additional contouring.

Disappointed with results 14 weeks post op Tummy Tuck and Liposuction to flanks. Is it swelling?

Thank you for the question and pictures.  Although some swelling can certainly still be present, part of your concerns may be related to the presence of excess skin in the “muffin top” area. These areas are often not addressed adequately with tummy tuck/liposuction surgery. Often, extended tummy tuck operations are necessary to improve the contour of these (flanks or muffin top) areas. Treatment of the stubborn muffin top involves excision (lipectomy) of the excess skin and adipose tissue.  If, in the longer term, you remain displeased with the appearance of these areas, additional skin excision (lipectomy) and/or liposuction surgery may be necessary to improve your outcome.  

I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

Swelling after a tummy tuck and liposuction

You may certainly still have some swelling at 14 weeks post tummy tuck and liposuction. You appear to have a very noticeable change compared to your pre-surgery photos. Some of the loose skin in the flank area will likely not improve that much due to the stretch marks in that area. Perhaps your expectations were not realistic with regard to what a tummy tuck could do for your particular anatomy- you should discuss this with your plastic surgeon. But be patient and wait a few months to see your final outcome.

William Bruno, MD