Did I tear the capsule around my implant?

During yoga I felt a severe burning pain. Since then I have had extreme pain on my lateral and lower side of my left breast I had implants about a year-and-a-half ago. Did I tear my capsule? And will it heal on its own? . . (Before the pain at yoga I had a bulge on my lateral left side. Since then the Bulge is gone.) . My plastic surgeon said it was similar to a 'hernia'

Possible capsule tear after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  It is common to have small tears in the capsule even up to 1 to 2 years after surgery.  This usually occurs with strenuous exercise. Yoga is a very strenuous exercise.  The tear may have temporarily caused the bulge and then healed on its own.  That is why the bulge is now gone.  Make sure you keep seeing your primary surgeon and have the area evaluated thoroughly and frequently. Best wishes in your recovery!

Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS

Board Certified ENT

Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Popping capsule around implant?

Do you recall hearing a pop before the burning pain? It is possible you tore your capsule, especially if your breast was firmer before and is now softer. It sounds like your surgeon was also not too worried about this and called it a popped capsule as well. The intense burning sensations come from the muscles being torn and stretched. It should heal on its own - to be safe I would get another opinion by calling your plastic surgeons office and asking how he recommends you to treat it as you heal. 

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Listen to your plastic surgeon

Was your breast hard before the incident?  Did it get softer?  If I hear two yes's I'd assume that your tore your capsule.  Many years ago, when we had capsular contractures, the surgeon would firmly squeeze your breast until there was a pop.  The original article written in the plastic surgery journal describing closed capsulotomy in the 70's related to a football player giving his girlfriend a squeeze.  She heard a pop and then her breasts were softer!