Will sun exposure after a Vi Peel lessen the results? Should I wait?

The woman I see recommended either a Vi Peel or one just a little less peeling (can't remember the name). My question: right before Thanksgiving is the best time to allow the necessary post-treatment peeling at home. However, I plan to vacation in Mexico a month later. I'll wear mineral sunscreen. Sit in the shade. Still, a lot of sun! Should I just wait a year or so for another time b/c of the sun exposure? How much will I hurt my results? Thanks!

Sun Exposure and Chemical Peels: How Soon Is Too Soon?

Prolonged sun exposure too soon after chemical peels as well as lasers can cause hyperpigmentation and scarring. Allowing yourself the minimum amount of two weeks to recover is paramount to avoiding complication. While you should in theory be fully healed from the ViPeel at a month’s time, you are still subjecting your skin to potential UV damage that you were most likely trying to address through the peel in the first place.

With that being said, it can be hard to find the perfect time for such procedures with patients’ busy schedules. While the risk of complication is likely minimal at that point, your results may not last as long as you want with a tropical vacation planned so soon after, even with diligent use of sunblock/sitting in the shade. If you want to get the most out of your investment, I would suggest you wait until after your trip. Best of luck, and enjoy your vacation!

Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon