Does Dermapen work for under eye wrinkles or is Fraxel better?

I was turned away from my appt. to have the Dermapen procedure saying it would only make my eyes look refreshed. She told me that Fraxel would be better but I was hopeful for the Dermapen procedure because no downtime and its affordable. When I look at Dermapens site they claim this gets rid of under eye wrinkles but at what cost? What is the real story and reviews of Dermapen? I have read some terrible blogs about the $$ they have spent with terrible results. I'm desperate to find answers.

Micro-needling vs Fraxel for under eye wrinkles

Medical micro-needling, when properly done and combined with effective skin care products such as human growth-factor serums, has been shown to give as good or better results than laser or Fraxel treatments. And at a fraction of the cost! Compared to fractionated laser treatments, micro-needling not only spares the epidermis, it strengthens it. The key to micro-needling is the healing response that this process stimulates. The keratinocyte is responsible for releasing several key growth factors that orchestrate underlying cell turnover to facilitate ideal skin rejuvenation. Repeated "stimulation" of healthy keratinocytes leads to release of growth factors and cytokines that optimize cell-to-cell communication between keratinocytes, melanocytes, and fibroblasts. When these signals are boosted, fibroblasts differentiate to form normal collagen and greater amounts of hyaluronic acid. The result is thicker, healthier looking skin.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel Vs. Microneedling for Under Eyes

Unfortunately there is no head to head trial, or split face study that has compared Fraxel to Microneedling treatments. But based on experience with the use of both, results are really dependent on the provider and how the treatments are being done. There are many variables when deciding how well a treatment will perform, such as: the power setting of the Fraxel laser vs. the depth setting on the microneedling pen, and also the number of passes over the areas being treated. The price point however is probably not too different between the two options. Fraxel if used on a higher setting may provide superior results to a session of microneedling but will produce redness after the treatment with a downtime of 3-5 days. Microneedling has less recovery time. Both are great options, and some patients like to alternate between both treatments.

Kaleroy Papantoniou, MD, FAAD
Great Neck Dermatologic Surgeon

Under Eye Microneedling

Microneedling yields wonderful results at the under eye area, especially when combined with PRP or platelet rich plasma therapy.  The microneedling is quick and pretty painless with minimal downtime.  The PRP portion involves a blood draw where the platelets and growth factors are isolated and then used to induce further collagen production.  The PRP can be placed on the skin like a mask or it can be directly injected.  Be sure to go to an experience practitioner for these treatments to maximize your results.  Best of luck!

Dermapen Treatments

The Dermapen treatment creates micro “injuries” in the skin which triggers new collagen synthesis. The result is smoother, firmer and younger looking skin. In my office we use this procedure around the eyes and the entire face to improve tone, texture, color and glow. The Fraxel is also an excellent choice that uses micro “injuries” to trigger new collagen synthesis, between those two procedures the Fraxel is more powerful and would yield you a better result. Either option will give you improvement however both options would probably need multiple treatments for best results. Your Board Certified Dermatologist would know which treatment would be most effective for your specific concern.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Microneedling can help!

In our practice we rarely use fractional lasers for under eye wrinkles. We've found a combination of micro needling especially with the addition or PRP, radio frequency, and good skin care have shown better results with virtually no downtime. 
Best to you,
Dr. Norcom

Derek Norcom, MD
Portland Physician

Dermapen or Fraxel?

Microneedling can be used on the upper cheeks to cheekbone area. I would not recommend this treatment for the eye area. Fraxel is great for fine lines and wrinkles. Please visit a licensed and experienced dermatologist who can successfully perform this procedure.

David J. Sire, MD
Fullerton Dermatologic Surgeon