How long before cosmetic surgery is it safe to get a flu shot?

I am having a Mommy makeover in mid-December and recently our company has given us vouchers for free flu shots. Since I am the type that always seems to get a cold between January - February would it be safe to get a flu shot this close to surgery. Should I just avoid the flu shot altogether this year? Since I am still 6 weeks out am I safe to have one now?

Dr. Derby Sang

It is safe and very recommended to use the flu shot before you procedure even more if your going out of your country, 6 week is a fine time to do it. 

Best of luck on your upcoming procedure !

Flu shot

With six weeks left before surgery it should be safe for you to get the flu shot.  Best wishes for your upcoming surgery!

Camille Cash, MD

How long before cosmetic surgery is it safe to have a flu shot?

Thank you for sharing your excellent question.  With six weeks to go you are more than safe to have the flu shot administered now.  Hope this helps.

Flu shot

Yes, it is fine to go ahead and get your flu shot.  Best of luck to you with your upcoming surgery.  

Shahin Fazilat, MD, FACS
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Flu shot before surgery

HI nbaker01,

I think that it would be safe for you to get a flu shot now as surgery is over a month away.

Dr. Christine Rodgers

Flu

There is no exact answer to your question.  I would say 1-2 weeks so if you do have a mild illness from the shot, it does not interfere with your elective procedure.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Ali Mosharrafa

Ali Mosharrafa, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Flu shot before plastic surgery?

You should be fine with a shot two weeks (or more) before plastic surgery. Remember that the flu shot does not guarantee that you won't get the flu-- it does not cover you against all possible strains of the flu. That said, it's best to avoid any known infected individual as you lead up to your surgery.

Tad Grenga, MD, FACS
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon