Dental Implants Before or After Orthognathic Surgery?

If you must have braces and orthognathic surgery to correct an underbite, and must have a dental implant for an unrelated reason, in which order would the procedures be done?

Surgery first and implant second..

After the surgery your jaw will be in a new position and the bite will change. The size and placement of the implant depends are current bone thickness and bite,,so I believe its best to wait. If you dentist feels otherwise then its because he can see your bite and xrays and I cannot.

Good luck.

Los Angeles Dentist

Order of treatment for braces, jaw surgery and implants

The orthodontic treatment is first to align teeth and prepare you for jaw surgery. Then the jaw surgery (orthognathic surgery) is completed. Following a 6-week healing period, the final orthodontic movements are completed. At this tiime, it is ok to proceed with implant replacement of the missing teeth and other restorative or cosmetic dental treatments.

H. Ryan Kazemi, DMD
Bethesda Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon