Do I Need a Maxillofacial Surgeon for Orthognathic Surgery?

I'm considering getting orthognathic surgery in the future and one of the surgeons I'm considering is a craniofacial surgeon and a plastic surgeon, but not an oral and maxillofacial surgeon. Do you think it would be wise to choose a doctor for this surgery who is not a maxfax?

I ask because although this surgeon isn't a maxfax, he has extensive experience with this procedure and has produced excellent results. Thanks!

Doctor Answers 3

Craniofacial surgery and maxillofacial surgery

All the subspecialties in plastic surgery and ENT and oral surgery can overlap. Maxillofacial surgeons generally come from plastic surgery, otolaryngology, or oral surgery. Craniofacial surgery generally have experience with maxillofacial surgery as it is considered a subsect of this subspecialty. Usually if a craniofacial surgeon prefers to concentrate on the cranium, he or she will work in conjunction with a maxilllofacial specialist and/or oral surgeon. Confused enough?

Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 11 reviews

Using the right surgeon

Orthognathic surgery can be performed by a craniofacial expert in plastic surgery or an oral surgeon. If the guy gets great results, he is the one to go to.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Plastic versus craniofacial versus maxillofacial versus oral surgery for orthognathic procedure: What's up with that????

I would likely consider an oral surgeon for orthoghathic surgery unless that plastic surgeon has extensive experience. Commonly most plastic surgeons performing maxillofacial and spefically orthognathic procedures work closely with an oral surgeon or orthodontist and prosthedontist. Make sure this is available with whomever you choose.

Otto Joseph Placik, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 81 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.